Volunteering! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Volunteering!

I'm being home schooled this year due to illness, so I've decided it is time to start looking into volunteering.

At the beginning of the month, I sent an email to the cat shelter where we got Cherry. After no response for two weeks, i sent in a form. Still no response, so I called the shelter. Finally got a call back Thursday! They were having computer issues which was why they didn't get my emails. I'm so excited! They still had to look over my form and hopefully they get back to me this week!

I had also contacted another shelter nearby(this one is mostly dogs). I got an email back from them Friday! I'm going to an orientation there on the 10th.

I'm quite excited about all of this! I've been wanting to volunteer for years, and now I'm finally old enough!

I just figured I'd share my excitement about this.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Cat Addict

You are doing a good thing but it won't always be easy. I wish you all the very best in what you are doing.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you!

Honestly, I'm ready for any hard work I'll need to do. I actually enjoy manual labor. It makes me feel good about myself, and being able to spend time with animals just makes it that much better!

And if you're talking about the heart breaking stuff that comes with volunteering, I think it will be good for me to get used to. I want to be a vet one day, and I want to be as prepared as possible for working with animals medically(meaning handling and the heart break, not necessarily medicine yet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

YEA!! Congratulations! You are doing a great service and will learn alot about human nature (the good and the bad), and the different temperments of animals. Best wishes!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you both! I'm so eager to start!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Cat Addict

My volunteer shifts are easily among the top highlights of my week every week. It's interesting (and perhaps a little odd) how much I look forward to doing it.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Tom Cat

I put in a request to volunteer where we got Moosey and Zigs but they never got back with me. They actually have too many volunteers! I would like to go to the Humane Society but it is too far for me to bike.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I'm very excited to start working. I'm hoping that the cat shelter will let me start this week. I'm going to be gone from the 12th until the 27th, so I want to at least go to the shelter once before I leave.

I'm probably going to call and see if I can go in and talk to someone Thursday or Friday.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Senior Cat

good luck! way to go!
hope there will be lots of joy and not too many heart-breaking moments.

fingers crossed you can go visit shelter soon!

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you!

I left a message at the cat shelter yesterday. Let's hope they get back to me before I have to leave. Though I don't think Friday is going to work out. We're supposed to get a huge storm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page