I'm for healthy living,but against it being the law. 16 69.57%
Americans must be told what they can and can't eat 0 0%
Nannies-who needs em 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

For-your-own-good legislation

What's your stand on 'healthy' legislation like bans on trans-fat,soda,smoking,etc.? Personally,I think Americans DO have many unhealthy habits, but some of the present bills are ill-advised. NOT just because it's creating a nanny-state,but the 'research' done demonizes some choices that,really aren't the worst for ya. There seems to be more POLITICS than health involved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Tom Cat

For-your-own-good legislation

I would be fine with it just because my will power sucks haha.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Cat

So every five years, the bureaucrats change their minds about what "healthy" is? No, no, no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Cat

Food shouldn't be in legislation. They made pizza a vegetable so they wouldn't have to change what schools feed the kids, "healthy" legislation right there.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Premier Cat

I absolutely do NOT want to be told what to eat and how much or when to eat. What is next? Weight scales at the entrances of fast food restaurants? Weekly weigh ins before you can purchase certain foods? No...stay out of my kitchen, my bedroom and my life I promise you (politician) I will run my life myself - consequences and all.
kayla baxter: - you don't know what you are asking for. Read about the total control the Nazis had on the German populace before you agree to such a thing.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Cool Cat

I don't support bans, because we all have the right to make decisions for our own bodies.

However, I do support taxes that will partially offset the costs to our healthcare system that result from people's unhealthy choices and go toward funding educational efforts to help people make good health choices. Having to pay a little more may make us factor the costs differently, but we still get a choice, so I don't have an issue with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Senior Cat

I think gov't has shown they are corrupt and too highly influenced by the corporations and lobbyists. It should stay out of making any kind of laws that govern what we (or our pets) eat. On the other hand, I deserve to know what is going into my body (or my pets'), so I want truth in advertising and labelling so i can make my own decisions.

I guess the problem I have is that once a 'fad' is identified...you name it, low cholesterol, low fat, low trans-fat, whatever...manufacturers will fall all over themselves to market to that fad, whether it makes sense or not. Manufacturers made 'low fat' cookies that catered to the low-fat trend, but didn't mention all the added sugars they put in to make up for the fat. I gained so much weight during the 'low fat' craze, despite working out...I just don't trust the industry to tell me what good for me, or my pets. Any laws that get passed are highly influenced by industry lobbyists, and therefore, suspect.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Senior Cat

On the other hand...we in the U.S. end up paying mucho taxpayer $$ to pay for healthcare, scooters, electric wheelchairs, nursing homes...you name it... for people who ate junk food all their lives and never attempted to exercise or mover their behinds in any way. So in that respect, I understand the intent behind the law, just don't think this is the best way...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Cool Cat

I should add that because our food prices are set very artificially because many parts of the food industry are heavily, heavily subsidized - I see having a tax on foods without nutritional value (like soda or chips) as more like reflecting their actual costs than as some sort of punishment or deterrent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Cat Addict

Obesity is a crisis in North America, and the rest of the world is following suit. It's hard to know where to draw the line, I'm not sure I've heard anything about straight up bans on anything but smoking -- taxes are another issue and I have no problem with this, it's unfortunate it has to come to it though, but America is certainly not the only place with taxes in place. Something has to give somewhere when people won't heed healthcare advise and strain the economy from their eating habits. I also don't mind smoking bans, it doesn't just effect the smoker.

There is something terribly wrong with the farming industry across the world, though. When food can be shipped across counties and be significantly cheaper than local produce. Something just isn't right, and that's what really needs to be addressed. I recall an article last summer about cherries rotting on trees because it would cost more to pick them than they could sell them for due to American cherry prices in our country. There was a story recently about apples as well, orchards were selling apples for some insanely low rate to the public because that's more than they'd make selling them commercially.

I was reading an aricle about obesity in Canada last night and how it's on the rise, BC had the lowest rate due to our west coast lifestyle. My city was raked as the lowest rate in the country -- noted for our immigrants, and they don't eat western junk food.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page