Cleaning wisdom - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Lightbulb Cleaning wisdom

So I was thinking the other day how nice it would be to get "quick tips" from everyone about how they go about keeping a tidy home with fur babies around. I'm somewhat of a clean freak but with three cats and one very messy bloodhound; I tend to feel always like I'm behind the eight ball.
I also worry about chemical residues and fumes and wonder what people are using to keep their homes clean and safe.
My poor couch ( which I cover in sheets and not so attractive ) is always covered in what I like to call "animal debris". The moment my dog gets up!
I recently bought a dry swifter the other day having no idea how much that actually picked up! Now I don't have to lug my big vacuum out every time I want to pick up hair, skin, ( sorry itchy bloodhound whose always suffered from allergies ) slobber and such. If I had known how handy this little tool would be in my life I could of saved myself much needed precious time.
Soooooooooooooo................................... ...having said that, I'm looking for any tips and tricks you can send my way.

Ps. Dog owners with slobber issues are more than welcome to way in here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Cat

My favorite things are iRoomba - he walks around and vacuums everything for me, I let him run around daily, carpets and floors are very clean! And wet jet swiffer for wet cleaning floors. Fast and easy, and it has solution that is labeled as safe for pets.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Cat

I use pawganics cleaning products. From the same company of babyganics they have natural products that I clean my and my pets dishes with I use them all around my house and car. Still feels clean without the chemical smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Premier Cat

I find the Swiffer a terrific pick-me-up of dust, hair etc. It's amazing how much it will pick up and if you do it every day that helps to keep things cleaner. I opt for cloths that are unscented. I also use sheets to cover living room furniture....if you buy some that are colorful or have a design, it's not too bad, but I know what you mean by "not so attractive", but it's better than the alternative of having to have sofas or chairs cleaned, and they're easier to whip off and it's nice to have clean furniture for visitors. Not owning a dog, I find the smell of dog on furniture very objectionable as it tends to permeate the whole room.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Premier Cat

I use a Hoover Elite bagless with HEPA filter once a week for deep cleaning of the one small LR rug and the upholstered furniture. It's a VERY powerful vac. I use a Hoover Lynx battery operated vac for quick cleanings (I actually have two of each - one for upstairs, one for downstairs). I sweep the kitchen floor almost daily (where they eat) and mop as needed. My house is 95% hardwood or vinyl so cleaning is easy.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Cat Addict

I hire a maid service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

3gatos: where would I find the pawganics wipes? Sounds like a winner.

Purr machine: I've actually thought about the roomba but with 4 Animals I wonder if it would fill up too fast to be effective for me. Whenever I vacuum I fill an entire bag. I also thought about the mint for my hardwood floors. It does dry as well as wet mopping.

Nebraska cat: a maid sounds delightful except I know I would spend all my time cleaning for the maid.

Catloveromi: it's really too late for my poor couches, sheet or no sheet. After 9 years of my bloodhound using that as her own personal space during the day, well, let's just say that shipped has sailed.

Marcia: I have a Hoover as well but actually prefer the bagged model. I like tossing the bag in the trash and putting in a new one then I'm good to go.

I so appreciate all your responses and look forward to anyone else's input on what to do to make cleaning an easier task.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Jr. Cat

I recently got a Dirt Devil Pet Jaguar bagless sweeper, and I like it very much. I find I prefer a bagless, because it makes me feel like I've really accomplished something, when I toss that dirt away! I also use dry Swiffer on the bathroom and kitchen (uncarpeted) floors, and I tend to clean with vinegar and water (50/50 mix) a lot as it's nontoxic. I use the Swiffer Wet Jet to mop my floors, but instead of using their solution, I simply spray the floors with hot water, and occasionally with vinegar and water.

The only air fresheners I use any more are Febreze. They say they are safe for pets, so I hope they're right.

As for the furniture, I have these quilted furniture throws made by Sure Fit... I've been quite happy with them. Of course, as long as we have pets, we're going to have pet hair... but I like to think I've found something of a happy medium between creating a safe environment for my kitty, and keeping a clean house.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I use a Hoover Lynx battery operated vac for quick cleanings.....My house is 95% hardwood or vinyl so cleaning is easy.
I have a Hoover Linx too...best battery vac ever! I recommended it to a friend (who has 6 cats) and she loves hers too.

My house is also mostly hardwood and laminate...I tore up all the carpets for ease of cleaning and to reduce allergies (I've never been tested, but think I'm allergic to dust mites, mold and mildly to cats).

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Jr. Cat

I have a Dyson Animal vacuum- I LOVE it and I'm so glad I made the investment (but we got a good sale and the floor model so it was heavily discounted). A good, easy to empty, lightweight vacuum is a must for 3 cats and a German Shedder (uh- I mean Shepherd!).

I take the covers off much couch cushions and wash them, the rest I vacuum and then clean with rubbing alcohol and a bristle brush and white sponge.

Most other things I clean with plain vinegar or dawn dish soap and water because I don't really like lots and lots of chemicals. I only use bleach in the kitchen after raw meat exposure.

I do keep a towel on the ground by the dog's water bowl to catch the drips- but he doesn't have an extreme drooling problem...

In my experience, if you feed dogs a higher quality food and give them at least a good weekly brushing there is no such thing as the "doggie smell" some posters mentioned above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page