game of thrones ** no spoilers, or even almost-spoilers, please ** - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

game of thrones ** no spoilers, or even almost-spoilers, please **

i watched all five discs of season 1, i guess that's the only season available. it was okay, i actually really hate anything like the hobbit or fantasy stories so five minutes into the first episode i thought, "oh no," but i watched the entire season.

i don't want to put any spoilers but daenerys targaryen is my favorite character. khal drogo was too but things happen. but she is now made of pure awesome. lol

the only thing i really dislike about it is the way netflix packages it. it only comes two episodes to a disc while every other tv series i order from them has about four episodes to one, so i can watch the entire series on three discs instead of five. so it takes twice as long to watch it that way but i'm not sorry i did or i would have cancelled it after the first two.

it is awfully complicated but if you pay attention you can keep up. it's just that the countries and kingdoms are fictitious so you can't relate anything to memory. kind of like learning about the five different areas of origin of the english language: easy if you live in northumberland county but not so much if you live elsewhere. i half expected to see something about the monastery at lindisfarne but westeros just has the wall and the black watch. lol

i finally tied everyone together and at some point i might watch it again (since i have it all straight now) and i'm sure i missed a few things. it took me until the third disc to realize who jaime lannister actually is. i think i figured it out about the same time sean bean did.

Last edited by marie73; 03-25-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 AM
Senior Cat

game of thrones

We watched the first season about a month ago. Like you I don't typically like fantasy type of plots but that show is quite addicting. The second season was just released on DVD about 3 weeks ago and we are waiting for it from Netflix.

It's not Netflix's fault about how many per disk there are. That's how many there are on the actual disks.

It ticked me off about the good guy (can't remember his name) and the king at the end. But the actual ending was SUPER cool! Bittersweet, but way cool!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Tom Cat

game of thrones

The books are a lot better and have maps and an appendix so it's easier to keep track. The second season is good, if the third season goes the way I'm thinking it will, the ending will blow people away who haven't read the books.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Cool Cat

I really enjoy the show.

Before the show was made, I read the books, which I think are even better. That made it easier to follow the story because a book can give more context for the places and people.

My favourite character in the books is Daenerys, and she used to be my favourite in the show too until the last episode of Season Two, when she really disappointed me. I won't say anything more than that to avoid spoilers, but something was added to the show that wasn't in the books that I didn't approve of.

I'm really looking forward to Season Three!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Senior Cat

I agree with everyone else about reading the books. I'm just finishing the 5th one now and it makes me so sad that it could be a few years before number 6 comes out!

I prefer the books over the show, but I still think they have done a great job with the show. I can't wait for season 3 to start!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Cat

Once I got my hands on both seasons last year Iv watched them both 3 times...Its a great series and has so much more potential for awesomeness.

I love every level of fantasy and they are leaving so much room for it: undead, wizards, dragons, but in a very tasteful sense.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Cat Addict

For the first season I sometimes watched the episode alone, then with my father, then with my mother, then with my best friend, then with my entire family (including 90 year old grandfather) ... and so the story is pretty solid in my mind from watching the episodes so many times, but my family had problems with who every is/who they're related to... I was very impressed with my best friend who kept track.of everyone from just one viewing.

It's my favourite series ever along with Breaking Bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof7kitties View Post
We watched the first season about a month ago. Like you I don't typically like fantasy type of plots but that show is quite addicting. The second season was just released on DVD about 3 weeks ago and we are waiting for it from Netflix.
wow! i guess i will queue up season two before i forget who's related to who. nah, once i figure it out, it's pretty set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof7kitties View Post
It's not Netflix's fault about how many per disk there are. That's how many there are on the actual disks.

It ticked me off about the good guy (can't remember his name) and the king at the end. But the actual ending was SUPER cool! Bittersweet, but way cool!
well i've noticed netflix carries certain issues of DVD's and not others, and have inexplicably been unable to get a few movies from them. or else only chopped up versions that don't make any sense, but that's just how it is. whoever put together the dvd's was unusual because those are the only ones i've ever seen like that. i'm leaning toward blu-ray anyway because you will still be able to watch dvd's on it and i won't have to replace my movie collection a third time.

i wasn't surprised at all because i read reviews (not even that announced spoilers. i guess they figured everyone already knew) and that just went along with the medieval heads-on-spikes theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla baxter View Post
The books are a lot better and have maps and an appendix so it's easier to keep track. The second season is good, if the third season goes the way I'm thinking it will, the ending will blow people away who haven't read the books.
there's a map with lineage explanations on the dvd but i took a glance at the first one and thought, "nah. i won't have to pass a final exam on this so i'm not taking the time." i pretty much remember that the starks are north (riverrun and king's landing and winterfell?) and lannisters are south (with baratheons) (but want to usurp everywhere).

i'm not going to read the books because that will ruin the endings for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
I really enjoy the show.

Before the show was made, I read the books, which I think are even better. That made it easier to follow the story because a book can give more context for the places and people.

My favourite character in the books is Daenerys, and she used to be my favourite in the show too until the last episode of Season Two, when she really disappointed me. I won't say anything more than that to avoid spoilers, but something was added to the show that wasn't in the books that I didn't approve of.

I'm really looking forward to Season Three!
aww, that's too bad about daenerys. well, everyone's only human. sort of LOL. i guess they never specifically named a time period, but i'm guessing 15th century, maybe 100 years (give or take a century) before shakespeare. milton or marlowe. certain aspects of it remind me of tamburlaine. some things about it hint at renaissance but others go back so i have a feeling they didn't cite the era because they mixed a lot of things all together.

Last edited by marie73; 03-19-2013 at 10:13 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
For the first season I sometimes watched the episode alone, then with my father, then with my mother, then with my best friend, then with my entire family (including 90 year old grandfather) ... and so the story is pretty solid in my mind from watching the episodes so many times, but my family had problems with who every is/who they're related to... I was very impressed with my best friend who kept track.of everyone from just one viewing.

It's my favourite series ever along with Breaking Bad.
you watched it with your 90 year-old grandfather???? LMAO. well i mean it doesn't bother me a bit but some people are obviously shocked at the amount of sex and nudity so it's a little bawdy for family viewing. i like that even though there's considerable adult sexual content, the violence is more implied than actually shown.

i have a hard time thinking of any two more disparate series than breaking bad and game of thrones.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post
i'm not going to read the books because that will ruin the endings for me.
If you want to read the books without spoiling the show, so far each season has covered one book. You should be able to read the first two without learning what will come next on TV.

Quote:
i guess they never specifically named a time period, but i'm guessing 15th century, maybe 100 years (give or take a century) before shakespeare. milton or marlowe. certain aspects of it remind me of tamburlaine. some things about it hint at renaissance but others go back so i have a feeling they didn't cite the era because they mixed a lot of things all together.
It's very loosely based on The Wars of the Roses, so yep, you're right - approximately 15th century is what the author is aiming for.

Westeros isn't supposed to be our world, though, so they wouldn't tie it to a specific year on our calendar.

Because it's not meant to mirror the real world, the timeline isn't an exact match and some things would be from earlier or later, or completely made up.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page