Recurring dreams about my cat (who has passed).. Don't know where else to turn. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Recurring dreams about my cat (who has passed).. Don't know where else to turn.

Hi everyone, I've no idea where to post this. It's still about my cat so it's not really off-topic but I don't think it's appropriate for the Over the Rainbow Bridge thread.

I lost my 18 year old cat William in November. We had to have him put to sleep because he was very old and sick and it was just his time.

I felt very guilty for a while afterwards though, even though I knew it was the best thing to do, because he didn't drift away peacefully... Up until the moment his heart stopped beating he was growling and fighting as hard as he could (which wasn't very hard as he was sedated, but he was still trying). I got the feeling he was trying to tell me he didn't want to go. Which is ridiculous, as he didn't know what was happening to him, all he knew was that he was being held against his will and the lady did something that hurt, so it was only natural to try and fight it. I knew it was his time, but it broke my heart. I wish I hadn't been with him at the time, I wish my Dad had just taken him himself.

I was devastated for a few weeks after we lost him. I was crying all the time and it felt so horrible to come home and he wasn't here. I have my two other cats whom I love to bits but they're just not the same. I was so depressed, it was the worst thing I've ever experienced.

Anyway, it was over four months ago now and I feel fine now. He's buried in the front garden and it comforts me to know he's still nearby. I have let go and I no longer get sad or cry when I look at his pictures but I smile and remember the lovely long life he had. I have accepted his passing and it's no longer affecting my daily life.

However, almost every night I dream about him. This has only been going on for the past two months oddly. At first, the dreams were frightening because in my dream I knew that he was dead, so I thought I was seeing his ghost or that I was experiencing a visual hallucination - nobody else could see him but me, and it was scary. However, the more dreams I had the more OK with it I became. The past four or five dreams have been different because my parents have been able to see him too in the recent ones, and I've been cuddling him in my dreams and interacting with him instead of just running away. However, the dreams are always sad rather than happy, because I ALWAYS know that I am dreaming. it's not like I'm dreaming that he's alive again and we're happy; I know that it's a dream and that really, he's dead. So whilst it's lovely to cuddle him it's also heartbreaking at the same time, and I'm upset when I wake up.

Basically I just want to learn how to get rid of these dreams. Has anyone else here experienced anything similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Premier Cat

Fizzle, I put my beloved dog (Mini) down about 9 years ago. She was absolutely my heart and soul.

Every single dream I have that I remember still has her SOMEWHERE in it. Laying on a bed, couch, dog bed, or chasing something. She's always there in the background of my dreams.

In time, I think that you'll take comfort in them. KNowing he's always there, looking out for you. I've found it really helpful during nightmares. I can look around and see her there in my nightmare and somehow, I think it'll be OK because she always protected me when she was alive.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Tom Cat

Occasionally I have dreams with Casie in them. Not as often anymore, but always enjoy when I have them. I'm not a religious person, but I like to think that she's just checking in or even sometimes trying to tell me something.

Sometimes I like to believe that the dead can visit you in dreams. When my grandpa died, I remember sitting there staring out window just kind of talking to him or whoever wishing that wherever he went he'd be happy. Every night for a few nights I did that and every one of those nights I dreamed about him. Then one night I said it was nice to see him, but that he should probably visit my dad. After that, I didn't have a dream about him and it's been years.

Yeah, probably ridiculous, but it helps me deal with death. I still hold out the hope that the Rainbow Bridge is true and that Casie is there waiting for me.

Heck, I even still say goodnight to her every night.

So, to repeat what MowMow said, you may end up taking comfort in it. I know I do. Makes me feel like maybe, just maybe, there's more to death than just decaying in the ground.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Cat Addict

Now that he is dead, I think he knows that you meant him no harm - you were acting in love. He's just popping into see you. Don't be sad that when you dream of him you know he's dead - take it as a sign that even though you know he's dead, he is actually still alive - just in a different place.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Senior Cat

Recurring dreams about my cat (who has passed).. Don't know where else to turn.

This is totally normal. As a kid I had a cocker spaniel whom we has to put down at 6 as she was very sick. I use to have dreams once a month about her. A few years ago they became disturbing where in the dream she would be still alive(she would be over 20)and still very sick about to die at anytime in a horrible state. I would wake up in tears totally disturbed. When my bf and I got our first dog(that wasn't our families dog), it went away. I stopped dreaming of her all together, I think I was just longing for a dog again. But before the dreams became disturbing they were always happy ones.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by 3furbabies; 03-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page