Snow Jam 2014 Atlanta - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Snow Jam 2014 Atlanta

I don't know if anyone else on the forum is in Atlanta, but I'm sure many have heard about our ice storm yesterday. Long story short, the forecast for the metro area was a "dusting", so no one really worried. About noon yesterday, the snow started coming down pretty heavily and everyone realized we were going to get more than a dusting. It had been nearly 50 degrees the previous day, and was well under freezing yesterday, so the snow was turning into ice almost immediately. There was pretty much a mass exodus as everyone left work, school, etc., which caused severe traffic congestion, which caused the salt and grit trucks not to get to the roads, which made the roads icy, which caused wrecks galore, which caused people to run out of gas and either abandon their cars or spend the night sleeping in them, etc., etc. All hotels were booked, and people had nowhere to go. Home Depot, Walmart, CVS, Kroger, and many other retailers were opening their doors to stranded motorists. Chick-Fil-A was giving out food to people who were cold and walking home. A page called SnowedOutAtlanta was setup on FB where people started posting about being stranded, or worried about family members without phones, and strangers began helping strangers by providing transportation, checking on family members and those who needed medical attention, etc. Many kids got stuck at schools because the buses could not safely get them home. Principals and teachers stayed at school overnight with the kids and had pizza parties, watched movies, and did their best to keep the kids and parents from panicking by making it a “snowcation.” So many people opened their doors to complete strangers to give them a safe, warm place to stay for the night. There are so many photos of people walking home in groups together, sharing food, helping each other push their cars out of ditches, I could go on. I haven't seen a single negative story on the news all day, which is really refreshing. It sucks that something this dramatic has to happen to make people come together, but it really restores my faith in humanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Premier Cat

I'm wondering why the metro area called for a dusting when National Weather news (Al Roker and even the weather channel were the two I listened to before the storm) said that Atlanta was going to get BLASTED.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Cat Addict

I also heard that it was going to be terrible but I am glad that people pulled together. The news out here on west coast covered it all. I am a chicken and always figured I would keep my kids and me in the house if that happened. But if it was a surprise then....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, all weekend long and up until yesterday morning, the national weather service said all of the snow was going to be north and south of the city and that we'd get nothing in the city. At 3:30 yesterday morning, the NWS issued a winter storm warning.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Premier Cat

Emily I've been watching the weather channel and all the pictures and film footage of what happened there-WOW!
For the areas that are used to snow, it can be hard to realize what can happen when people aren't!!
I guess it just goes to show that when its winter, wherever you are, its good to have some survival gear in your vehicle!

Hope you're OK! And still have power!

Plus, I haven't heard it mentioned yet but when it starts warming up again...
The possibility of flooding areas?

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Cat Addict

We have a plant in Cartersville, not too far North of Atlanta. A couple of our maintenance guys flew down and got into Atlanta airport at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. By 7:45 a.m. this morning, over 14 hours later, they had made it to their hotel in Cartersville. They said it was just normal winter weather (which we're used to) but they said people on the interstate were just abandoning their cars in the middle of the road making the highway impassable. I guess they just stayed in their car. I know when they got to their hotel they went to bed. Quite a deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We actually didn't get that much snow, it's just that it turned to ice so quickly. It should all be gone tomorrow hopefully. The sun came out a bit today, but it was still pretty cold. Right now we still can't get out of the neighborhood. We have a steep hill exiting the sub-division and it's shaded, so it's a big sheet of ice. All of the kids were sliding down the hill on cardboard and garbage can lids (no one has sleds around here)! Everyone was out with their dogs too and they seemed to be in heaven.

Yeah, a lot of people ran out of gas from sitting in traffic so long, or got stuck, so just abandoned their cars, so that's what really made it so bad. The tow trucks came today to move all of the cars off to the side where there were multiple lanes so people could come back to get their cars. I was in training about 40 miles north of the city, and we left at 11, so I was home before it got bad. Some friends of mine have an 8 year old daughter who got on the bus at school at 11:30 and was still not home at 2:00, so they were calling the school trying to find out where the bus was, but no one knew. They finally found out where the bus was at 8PM! Her Dad and some neighbors walked 4 miles to the bus to get their kids and take food, blankets, etc. I would have been freaking out!

The governor and mayor definitely should have closed schools when the NWS issued the winter weather advisory yesterday morning, but I don't think that would have prevented people from going to work. We kept hearing it would be nothing all weekend, then all of a sudden they were saying we'd get 1 - 2 inches. I don't think anyone really took it seriously. The major actually sent home most of the road crews because they didnt' think it would amount to anything.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Premier Cat

Sheesh, the mayor and city manager and anyone else responsible for that in Atlanta should be fired.

We got hit hard for our area too, but even with the limited snow resources we have it was well done here. Almost everything was closed so no traffic here which allowed the plow trucks to clear the interstates and primary roads pretty quickly yesterday.

9 inches fell - an unheard of amount here - and we don't even own a snow shovel and no one has ice available for sale anymore for the walkway (we used up our one bucket last week) even if we could shovel. Hubby used a garden shovel to clear the snow from our walk way but it's still covered in ice. The 175 feet long driveway will have to wait for the big melt later in the week. Good thing my truck can get through it! Haven't seen this much snow at once here since 1996. 2 times in 20 years is not often enough to stock up on salt for.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page