Portable Dishwashers - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Portable Dishwashers

I think I'll treat myself to one with my California income tax refund, which I received yesterday! My Federal refund is going straight into my savings account.

Anyone have one? Pros and cons? I'm looking at 24-25", not the 18" ones, but also I'd like to know how the customer service was where you bought it. I don't want to get one from Sears (for example) if they make you wait three weeks before sending someone out to look at it if you're having issues.

I've read nightmare reviews on every model, of course, so I know they're like cars, depends on the day of week they were made.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Cat

i have a portable dishwasher, 24" GE bought from lowe's. never have had any problems with it at all and it's over two years old now.

i did learn two important things about portable dishwashers --

that you can't have a sprayer on the sink you attach it to to run because the pressure could cause the sprayer hose to burst. i had my sprayer removed/disconnected and a plug installed over that hole.

that over time the "O" rings in the sink faucet can wear unevenly from the extra weight on the faucet, which can cause a slow drip under the sink. the "O" rings can be replaced pretty easily, but a better option is to have an old style little faucet installed where a sprayer used to be -- those old style faucets are smaller than a regular sized kitchen sink faucet and don't swivel. this new little faucet where the sprayer used to be can be used specifically for the portable dishwasher to hook up to.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Crap. For the first time in probably 15 years, I have a stupid sprayer, which I don't even use.

Very, very good info, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Premier Cat

Switching out a kitchen faucet is really easy if you have some basic tools! You can get one for not much $$$ from the big box stores nowadays. Even having to buy an adjustable wrench for a few dollars more would be worth it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Premier Cat

Portable dishwashers?! I'll have to google that. Growing up, we had an Amana that could house a family of 4.

Sounds like a good investment.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Jr. Cat

I thought I'd come into this thread seeing pictures of cats licking dishes....my bad.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogakitty View Post
I thought I'd come into this thread seeing pictures of cats licking dishes....my bad.
ROFL!! Good one Yogakitty!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Crap. For the first time in probably 15 years, I have a stupid sprayer, which I don't even use.

Very, very good info, thanks!
If you go with that old style faucet installed where the sprayer used to be that would be a good hookup for the portable.

Then since your rolling in tax refund, you could replace your kitchen faucet with one that has the sprayer in the faucet.....it pulls out when you want to spray or you slide it in and move a little lever and get the regular faucet flow. I put one in two years ago and use it all the time..good pressure for the spray too and it is a single handle style which I like.

Do you have a garbage disposal? I don't like to let any food get into my under the counter dishwasher...less cleaning of the filter that way and since I have a G.D. and a good spray head on the faucet, no food gets in the dishwasher.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I was surprised to find that most portable dishwashers now have some sort of garbage disposals/food choppers inside them.

I don't know about messing with my faucet (the dishwasher will take up my entire refund, if not more). Telling me it's easy to do is like me handing a recipe to someone who can't cook a lick and saying it's simple, just follow the directions!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Premier Cat

but, it really, really is easy to do!!. They make the instructions with pictures. I think for like $89 Home Depot will install it for you though. Maybe you know someone that would do it as a favor for a glass of wine?

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page