How do people do it?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

How do people do it?!

How do people go away for a vacation without their animals?!

I "foolishly" said yes to my best friend when she asked me if I could go with her out of town for the weekend for her son's hockey tournament. Her husband couldn't get the weekend off, they were calling for some weather and she knows I don't mind driving in the snow.

Well, I went out and bought everything that my animals might need/want (probably enough for about a month)and wrote the schedule down for my husband!

-Coca needs her "pills" when we give the dog her meds in the morning (Coca gets a couple of treats but they have to come out of her own pillbox (got a fresh one from the vet).
Then she needs to do her morning walk around the house BEFORE the dogs are let out.
She eats x much wetfood at 7:30 but she only eats in her own room.

-Whisper gets x much wet but he won't eat it unless it's put on the windowsill in the living room and he won't start eating until you get his motor going by giving his back a good rub.

-Gizmo gets her food mixed with a bit of warm water and eats it in our room.
She only drinks from glasses so they need to be kept full at the various spots I have them.
She can only have a certain amount of treats over the day, otherwise she gets a bad tummy!

-our dogs get so much kibble mixed with a tablespoon of natural plain yogurt except for sunday mornings - then I crack 1 egg each with their kibble and mix it in.
Take the kongs and fill it with yogurt and put it in the freezer for their night time treat.
Give them their supplements and a treat after.
Before you go to work, put them in the kennels with their other Kong toy - no other toy in there when they are alone!

Similar routine in the evenings..

I was so stressed over the weekend over my animals that I really didn't enjoy myself that much.
I even wrote down what each of the cats like as in how to pick them up, what kind of rubs they want and so on.. Who does that?! Lol

I really wish I could be one of those people that can leave their animals with a person they trust and that be enough.

Hubby says I got issues! Lol
Please tell me I ain't the only one that needs to know their spoiled brats gets the same routine while away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Premier Cat

YOU ARE NUTS!!! Just kidding! You are NOT nuts!! You are a typical cat momma that loves her furbabies and just has a hard time thinking someone else might be as good with them as you are. I'm glad you can at least have someone to be there and be a surrogate mommy to them! That must have helped a little.

I personally don't like to travel - I get homesick, miss my bed, my yard and REALLY miss my kitties but I love the thought of traveling and constantly tell hubby "we need to see Wyoming and Montana and the Adirondacks and Halifax", etc. I want to do it in an RV and have our remaining one or two cats with us. Missy, Maddie and Lacey are all old and I don't expect them to last much more than 5 years when the full fledged ripe retirement/traveling age sets in. That will leave Jack and Coco to join us on our big adventures.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Cat Addict

Whoah.. I am soooo glad I wasn't the cat sitter!! (snicker, gigglez)

I DID like the treats in the "fresh from the vet" pill box, so when the dog gets meds, so does she. LOL

I know my schedule is weird in its own special way, it's just that I never think of it as anything other than normal. Are mine spoiled? Of course not! We have just worked out a mutual level of communication that seems to work seamlessly.

And I just don't do any overnighters to anywhere. If I can't do it within the same day, it don't get done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Cat Addict

When we do go away, we have a brilliant pet sitter - I have even trusted her with vet visits.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Cat

We live in Florida so we take a lot of day trips (amusement parks, the beach, a day of boating, etc) so naturally that doesn't interfere with our myriad of pets.

It sounds weird, but my husband usually takes a week or two and heads to North Carolina to play campground host with his parents and then I usually take a different time and go somewhere with the kids and my mother. It sounds odd, but it works for us. The bonus is that there is always someone home for the furry (and no so furry) set.

I have always wanted to take the cats to the beach, however. Just to see how they would react.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Our home belongs to Hera, Zeus, and Athena.
And there are some humans here too!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Tom Cat

I have two very trusted people that I know will go above and beyond with my animals. One is my mom who just takes them in if we are going away for more than a few days. The other is a friend who actually comes and spends the afternoon or evening with them. I don't worry generally because I know they are going to be safe and very happy under thier care.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Cat Addict

We take them with us. Usually the only place we go is the cabin in the Gulf Islands, it's a very small unheard of island with no stores or cars... it's so small all the homes have to be along the waterfront.

Blacky leading the way on a walk:
... if I was to actually go somewhere I couldn't take them (pretty much never happens) I'd leave them with family or at home. I really wouldn't worry, I imagine they're just going to sleep most of the time while I'd be gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Senior Cat

Such a complicated regimen.... lol. I think you've created an environment that is impossible to maintain fully by anyone other than yourself.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Premier Cat

I used to NEVER go anywhere MowMow couldn't come (This was before Book came along). I was convinced that NO one could ever take care of them the way I could and I was positive something would go terribly wrong if I went away.

Christmas 2012 I had to go home for Christmas. I had a stroke that year and my family hadn't seen me (they are ALL on the east coast) except my mom, and it was just... important.

I got a reference for a pet sitter and knew a couple of her clients who gave RAVE reviews. It was the most freeing experience EVER. I got text message pictures every night, she was here 3X a day (my nosy neighbors kept track of her comings and goings and let me know how often she came). She is a vet tech so I knew she could handle anything that came up and she was made aware of medical issues, hiding places, and food/litter preferences. I called ahead to the vet and left my CC# and cell phone # and they knew that Liz would be coming in if something came up.

It was like the weight of the world was lifted off me when I realized that I COULD go away and not obsess (of course I still WORRY, just not obsess) over what they are doing and how they are.

In fact, Ive got a very nice weekend planned in a few weeks with a new friend up in the mountains and I'm REALLY looking forward to it! Liz is booked, I updated and reprinted the info sheet (affectionatly known as 'the bible') for her and am busy thinking of what to pack for my trip.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Senior Cat

Probably once a week, as I'm going through my feeding process, I do a walk through in my head of how I would explain the routine to someone who would have to do it for me.

I always try and think of a way to simplify it even further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page