Those of you who use XP Windows.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Those of you who use XP Windows....

Those of you with XP Windows as your operating system, what are you going to do after April 9th when XP will no longer be secure. I cannot afford another computer and don't know what I'm going to do. I will check with my Norton security and see what they have to say about all this, anybody else concerned about this

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Premier Cat

You don't need to get a new computer, just upgrade your operating system from XP to windows 7 or 8.1.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Banned

Windows7 is a horrible OS, according to my father, whose present computer came with it.

For my computing needs, I thought XP was the best, with Vista a close second. I haven't had a functioning computer for over a year now (I post either from my work computer in my spare time or from my S2 phone), so I have no idea what is out there at the moment. I really want to get a laptop... maybe next year when my credit card is paid off I can put aside a couple of months-worth of CC payments and pay it off up-front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Cat Addict

I had windows 7 for quite awhile and had no issues. You need to make sure you have the critical updates installed as they come in. I now have Windows 8 and that is a more to get used to.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

Cat Owner Again you are the first person I havent heard bemoaning how they hate the new windows. I heard it isn't intuitive and everyone is struggling with it.

What are some tips for those who will have to get new computers next month?

I'm dreading this because my honey who resists technology. (He has a flip phone) is going to be forced to replace his dinosaur lap top. its not going to be a happy time in our house with him.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Cat Addict

Oh I did complain about Windows 8! They designed it for their Windows Surface that is like a tablet and laptop and the touch screen laptops that cost more. And I don't see why I would want to use the touch screen on my laptop! The problem is when you buy a new laptop this is what you will get. I almost considered wiping it off and reinstalling Windows 7 but you can't fight city hall. They will discontinue support of Windows 7 before they do 8.1. So people showed me a few things and now I can get around it fairly well. Basically you want to put it back to Windows 7 views you are used to. I set it up so I can go to the desk top. I put short cuts on the desk top and the taskbar on the bottom just like I was used to before. I use the desk top to get around. I got rid of a lot of the apps I didn't use.
I didn't have to download anything to do these things. You can use You Tube to show you how - I just usually check that more than one person is telling me how to do the same thing so I don't mess up. I am on the computer all day for my job but I don't find it too hard now. As I am typing this I have all of the usual icons on the bottom taskbar I can go to.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Cat Addict

Oh and I finally had to go from my flip phone to a smart phone too! I basically wouldn't leave the store until someone showed me how to do all the things I needed to do. I took notes. Now I also look up on You Tube when I need to do more. I still don't use it to full capacity but once in awhile I am happy I have the email, etc. I think the key is to find the help you need and practice it a bit and then you feel really proud that you figured it all out
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Kitten

Windows 7 is more or less the same as Vista, which wasn't too much different to XP. If you're going straight from XP to 7 it might take a few weeks to get completely used to it, but it's still essentially the same thing and it should all still work the same way.

Windows 8 is a bit odd, it's really designed for touch screens so the usual things you might need aren't always where you'd expect them to be. I don't find it very intuitive but I don't use it very often - if I had to I'd probably just deal with it.

However, if you're happy with XP for the time being I don't think there's much rush to go out and buy a whole new computer, or even upgrade if you don't want to. Just make sure your antivirus and firewall are kept up to date, and be cautious about what kind of thing you click on and things you install from the internet.

Mitts & Tess - if your husband doesn't use his laptop for gaming or advanced use of MS Office (and doesn't need a CD drive), he might get on alright with a Chromebook? They are very basic, light, intuitive, secure and difficult to mess up by clicking the wrong thing. Also, cheap. The google versions of word/excel/powerpoint don't come with all of the bells and whistles that MS Office does, but they're more than capable of handling most of the things a normal person can throw at them.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Cat Addict

The problem with not having a CD drive is sometimes you need one to install something and can't do it from the internet. Then you need a slow portable drive. I usually find if you don't change your technology often, to get all you "may" need because you can make it last longer. Timelyexit gave good advice. You don't have to run out and get a new computer immediately. I think being careful what you open and how you surf goes a long way in security along with the virus checker. And please back up your computer data because eventually things break and people lose their data or have to pay to try and retrieve it.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
And please back up your computer data because eventually things break and people lose their data or have to pay to try and retrieve it.
THIS, THIS, THIS!!!!!! My PC hard drive crashed about a year and a half ago, and due to finances I haven't made a move yet to see if I can get any of the files off of it. I had tons of pictures I had taken, my entire CD collection ripped onto it for transferring to my MP3 player, videos I had downloaded, game files, etc. etc.

At this point I don't even care whether or not I can salvage the hardware, just as long as I can retrieve my files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page