realizing your second year of college that you have been pursuing the wrong major... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

realizing your second year of college that you have been pursuing the wrong major...

I was originally a biology major when I moved here for college, with full intention to work with animals, and I switched to theatre (my second love.) It is now the end of my second year and my rescue kitten came into my life and having a pet again reminded me just how much I love animals.

I have decided to pursue biology again on a pre-vet track which means starting all over... and i'm terrified. BUT I finally feel like I found my calling, which I hadn't felt until now. I am happily terrified and really want to just get this ball rolling. Is it horrible to say I hate my twenties and cannot wait until i'm 35 and settling into life more smoothly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellvillamor View Post
Is it horrible to say I hate my twenties and cannot wait until i'm 35 and settling into life more smoothly?
Not horrible, but possibly naive. Life is never settled and 'smoother'.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Premier Cat

Congratulations to you for finding what it is that you truly love to do. And don't feel like you're not settled simply because you changed your mind. It's worth it - and it's much easier - to take your time to try out new things now rather than sticking with something that you're not sure about and then suddenly realizing when you're 35 that it's not for you. Trust me.

My trajectory: I entered college a pre-med biology major, was miserable, discovered I liked literature, majored in English, worked in publishing for 3 years but started contemplating grad school in English after 3 months in the "real world," realized that I liked French literature much more than English-language literature, and went to grad school for French.

For 8 years, I plodded very, very slowly towards my Ph.D. because I couldn't decide if teaching college was worth the misery (and the money!).

In my 8th year of grad school, I got a full-time job teaching college and knew I'd found my passion. I wrote my dissertation in 2 summers and finally got my degree after 10 years. I was 35.

I finished paying off my student loans in 2011, when I was 45. But I absolutely love what I do.

I've known plenty of people who've made career changes after they started working in the field they always thought they'd wanted to pursue. So...finding what it is that you love to do when you're 20? You've got a huge head start! And even if you change your mind 10 times in the next 10 years, there's no reason to stress about it. As long as you ultimately end up loving what you do, it's all worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Not horrible, but possibly naive. Life is never settled and 'smoother'.
^^^^ sooooo this..it doesn't get easier as you get older
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Premier Cat

LOL! You just learn to hide your fears and insecurities better!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yes...it's so much better to figure it out when you're young and don't have responsibilities hanging over your head that keep you in a career that you hate. So it's good that you're doing this now.

I obviously don't know you and have no idea if this type of flip flopping is normal for you or completely out of character. Whether you're the type to think things through or just jump at them. But with 2 changes in 2 years, if I were your parent(s) I'd be asking you some hard questions like:

1. Do you have the grades to get into vet school? What GPA and test scores do you need and is it reasonable to expect that you can achieve them?
2. If you don't get into vet school, what is Plan B? What kind of job can you get with a pre-vet degree? Will you need even more schooling?
3. Are you prepared to go out of the country for vet school? I believe many vets end up doing this.
4. You just got a cute little kitten and now want to be a vet...Are you romanticizing the profession? Have you seriously thought about the negatives...and there are a ton of them.

I would recommend that you take a year off from school and go get a job in a vets office or shelter where you will get a good idea of what you'll be dealing with. If at the end of the year you still want to be a vet, then it's probably your destiny. If not, you haven't piled up another year's worth of school expenses.

Whatever you decide....good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 04:18 AM
Premier Cat

You made the right choice by starting over and going back to your first love. This is a very temporary setback and you will be so much happier in the long run. By pursuing theater you might always have regretted not going the vet/animal route but by doing the vet/animal route now you could always do theater as a hobby later. There are no hobbiest vets. Good move. Don't rush it, enjoy your 20's. They'll be over before you know it. I didn't start really living and being life smart until I was 30!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Cat Addict

These four questions are spot on to what you need to ask yourself. I would take time to consider them and be honest with myself in answering them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
1. Do you have the grades to get into vet school? What GPA and test scores do you need and is it reasonable to expect that you can achieve them?
2. If you don't get into vet school, what is Plan B? What kind of job can you get with a pre-vet degree? Will you need even more schooling?
3. Are you prepared to go out of the country for vet school? I believe many vets end up doing this.
4. You just got a cute little kitten and now want to be a vet...Are you romanticizing the profession? Have you seriously thought about the negatives...and there are a ton of them.
Question 4 is one to really reflect on. The negatives can be so draining. There are some on this forum that do work in the shelters and have faced many negatives and it does take its toll. Perhaps you can speak with some of them too.
IMO I think that volunteering is a very wise move and from what I've noticed, you ARE trying to gain experience by volunteering to work with pets, in your area. . But as was suggested in doodlebug's post, why not take a year off school and give your pet experience time. Undevided time, to explore how you feel and the direction you want to take.

Good luck in your pursuits!

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think that volunteering at a shelter and actually working there provide the same experience. Of course it depends on the shelter, but around here, volunteers are somewhat insulated from a lot of the worst situations. In addition, only being there a few hours a week doesn't have the same impact as a regular 40+ hour week.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Cool Cat

Goodness I changed my major twice.
I was preveterinary, then realized I missed languages. Changed to a French major and realized I missed my sciences. Took a semester off, and found a way to combine language with medical sciences= speech language pathology.
Sometimes it takes a while to find your true calling.
I don't regret dropping the vet program. I am not sure I could handle all the pain and suffering, the frustration.
I do see human suffering to be sure, but usually I feel I can talk with them about it and offer some emotional support, yk?

Hugs and prayers of guidance as you move forward.
I actually did find that I was way more confident and together in my 30s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page