Gardens! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Gardens!

I thought I'd start a yopic about this as there are some amazing gardeners on here!

I'm making my first foray into gardening. My grandmother always had one that I helped with when I was a kid, and I worked for 2 summers at a market garden and 4 seasons at a tree farm and landscaping firm, but I've never even grown flowers for myself so this year, I bought a garden plot at the community gardens and am planting an herb bed at the front of my trailer, with some potted Tomatoes as well. I have pics of the just planted veggie garden, but I have to figure out how to get rid of some attachments so I can put more on here

So let's see all yours!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Premier Cat

Ashamed to say I have a brown thumb. No gardening skills at all. I will have to enjoy your pictures!
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Cat Addict

I was so excited about my garden this year...and then my stupid back happened. However, I refuse to give up, so I'm recruiting help from any of my friend and family who are interested.

This past weekend (May long weekend) is when gardens really get going around here so I got my sister and her boyfriend to come out and help me. Last year I promised my So that I wouldn't kill anymore of our lawn (he has this thing about lawns *sigh* lol), so in order to still expand my growing space I got a community garden plot.

I started my seeds indoors this year (first time ever! ) and successfully grew WAY too many tomato plants (three varieties), a few eggplants, a celery, three kinds of peppers (bell, jalapeno, and habanero), hubbard squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, pattipan squashes, and a sad little cucumber that may not make it.

On Monday we planted some of those into my community garden, along with brussel sprouts, onions, swiss chard, lettuce, corn, and asparagus crowns. I still have to seed in beans, peas, beets and radishes as well as plant some marigolds (pest control) and maybe a few herbs.

I still have to plant out the garden at my home, hopefully I'll get to that this week or weekend

Pics:

The plot next to mine is what my little planted plot looked like when we got them Monday morning!

Tula guarding the seedlings:

My 'grow-op', a few weeks ago:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Cat

I am horrible about keeping things alive. And here you have to keep them alive and looking well year round. We Xeriscape so that has helped a lot. Basically the only flowers in our yard are ones that thrive on neglect.

And let's not start on weeds....

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Our home belongs to Hera, Zeus, and Athena.
And there are some humans here too!
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Premier Cat

I actually shoveled some compost yesterday! A friend of mine is planting trees and a garden. He's part of an effort to restore some of the old houses in Youngstown! He lives in an abandoned apartment building that was once a mansion. Ben's planted apple trees, pear trees, and he's busy on a garden. Still in the manure-spreading stage. Oh, and he's pro-pollinators!
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I planted some more stuff today... my garden plot is almost full! Now I'm hoping for some rain... I don't want to have to haul water

I have red and white potatoes, green and yellow beans, red and long white radishes, spaghetti squash, zucchini, cukes, turnips, parsnips, carrots, peas, sugar snap peas, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, multiplier onions, pumpkins, iceberg, great lakes, and romain lettuce, swiss chard, and kohl rabi planted in my garden plot.

I have dill, basil, parsley, rosemary, garlic chives, asparagus, and a pepper of some sort planted in my flower bed, and two tomato plants in pots.

I think I'm all set!

post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Oh, I forgot oregano lol

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Cat Addict

This is my effort this year:

Which... isn't food. We also planted some tomatoes in the yard, about 5 plants, but that's the extent of it. We have blueberries, cherries, plums, raspberries and pears too. Most of those we won't eat due to maggots... I think only the tomatoes, pears and plums are safe, the rest rot before they're ripe due to the maggots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

OMG look at the colour of that begonia! I WANT IT!

post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 05:12 AM
Premier Cat

That begonia is BEAUTIFUL!! I just don't do well with flowers for some reason especially those that could come back. These were taken the day after the 45 cubic yards (about dump 2 truck loads) was blown in a few weeks ago. I love flower gardening, but since I don't have much sun I have to rely on shade loving perrenials like ferns, hostas and coral bells and the azaleas that bloom in early spring. They offer plenty of variety in color and size and I like the hardiness of the shade plants I have.

My veggie garden is planted and off to a good start so I'll take some pics of that too later. The white picket fence area in the last photo is the veggie garden. I just painted the fence this winter and it looks nice all crisp and white. Wish it would stay that way.

Attachment 57457

Attachment 57465

Attachment 57473

Attachment 57481

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 08-01-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page