Moving 3,000 miles with cats and newborn - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Moving 3,000 miles with cats and newborn

I came to Massachusetts solo, with a dog and a cat, from Nevada. That was easy. Both critters were leashed, we had almost no possessions. Now I'm looking to move home to California with two cats, a newborn, a husband, a different dog and an assortment of heirloom furniture.

Help?! What is the best way to go about this? Anyone? What is the cheapest and safest way to do this? I'm so worried about cats and infant. All are healthy. I know my husband would never let the cats travel out of carriers, so how do they poop/pee?. My baby will eat and poop frequently. Please say someone's done this before.

Are moving companies easier and cheaper for small households cross country with small dependants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Cat

I will keep you guys in my thoughts. Moving with cats is not fun.

I would keep them in carriers while you drive. It is safer for the cats and you.

How long is the drive? If it is short, a day or so, then the cats shouldn't have a problem holding it for that duration. If longer, bring a litter box and set it up at the motels you are staying at.

I find that using a moving company can be cheaper. Remember that moving companies are insured so if something breaks you are covered. With a u-haul, you are out of luck if something breaks. Plus, if you are renting a u-haul truck and not just a trailer, you get charged per mile along with the gas you put into it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Senior Cat

Ok, in regardto moving the cats. Yes they should be confined for their own safety. That distance I presume is going to take at least a few days - a new born is going to slow it down as well I should think. If you are planning on transporting the cats and staying in overnight accom that allows animals then the cats should be fine all day in regard to toiletting during the day, but should have water offered to them during the day. When you arrive set up the bathroom with their beds and littler box/es, some food and water and leave them be to recover from the day. This is how I moved my cats and it worked well.
Be aware they may have an 'accident' during the day due to stress so be prepared with clean up supplies on hand. NEVER open the carrier with the vehicle door open. Consider getting the cats used to wearing harnesses that you can clip a lead onto for extra safety.
You might consider sedating them during the journey to help them cope.

Whenever I've moved I used a removal/carrier company and find this helpskeep the stress down. With animals and a new bub you need to consider the stress factor into this. I generally move myself and the cats out into a motel the day before the movers come which works well.

Also if you use a carrier ask about their pet moving service - this may be worth considering if offered as part of the deal. I'm just very aware of how stressful moving is and factoring in animals and a baby - and the fact that you will still be recovering from the birth, into the mix ... yeah, I'd do anything I could to make it easier.

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page