Awful yet amazing recipes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Awful yet amazing recipes

So this is the most whiny first-world-problem ever...

My mom is taking me out to see Hairspray at a dinner theatre. I KNOW the food will be amazing...what food am I craving? Ramen noodles. *headdesk*

Inspired by this 'recipe' I'm looking for the weird 'clean out the fridge' meals your family makes. Just for fun

My dad served this ONCE. I was 8. He never made food while 'babysitting' us again. I knew how to make soup and pancakes, we managed. Lol

Dad's Ramen Hot Dog Soup

2 packages ramen noodles (or however many you need to feed the number of people you have...)
water to cover the noodles
Spice packets that the noodles come with
Hot dogs
Frozen veggies are optional, but recommended (So you can tell whoever is in charge of nutrition that the kids 'ate vegetables')
Secret Ingredients (In the interest of not ruining the story you'll just have to read on to find out exactly why this was so awful)

Make ramen noodles as normal, adding the hot dog when you put the noodles in the boiling water and the veggies right at the end.

Serve in dishes.

Ask kids what they like on their hot dogs.

Add 'secret ingredient' aka hot dog condiments.

I must admit, ramen/hot dog/relish and ketchup soup is one of the worst things I've ever tasted to this day. Blech

So? What weird things have you made and served as 'food'?

Examples to get you started:
Fairy bread (aka white bread with margarine and sugar)
Any soup casserole
Most things that contain mayonnaise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

This is something my grandmother used to make...it might be an old Czech recipe or it might be something she made up to use left over cabbage when she made stuffed cabbage.

Shredded cabbage sauteed in butter or margarine
Bowtie pasta
Cinnamon & Sugar

Sounds awful but I love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Premier Cat

I make something similar, but savory. No cinnamon/sugar but bacon and sliced boiled potatoes with the cabbage and pasta.

My mom used to make a Hungarian dish where she'd boil smoked pigs feet, then pour the broth and bits of pigs feet into bowls. The bowls go into the fridge to chill so the liquid solidifies into jelly. BLARGH, GROSS.
http://aboutbudapest.travel/wp-conte...a_01_kicsi.jpg

My favorite 'gross' dish is creamed zucchini with paprika and sour cream. On top goes a large dollop of marinara, then on top of that goes a poached egg. Once you pop the egg and mix it all together it's pure heaven.

Last edited by MowMow; 05-29-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Cat Addict

(UN)Fortunately, I can't recall anything quite as bad as those sound. Although my mother sits in one of two camps: go all out making something with ingredients that make the food FAR too expensive (with a few odd things thrown in -- like nuts in cheesecake) or... just make weird stuff, since she hardly ever measures stuff or wants to take a "healthy" spin on tried and true recipes. I didn't grow up living with her, so I survived mostly unscathed. My grandmother and father both were great cooks. If we'd left meals to my grandfather it would have been a DISASTER. He would open some beans and call it a night. Maybe fry up some old vegetables that he burns to a crisp. Or add an egg. I've seen him ear stomach turning concoctions for breakfast, but I stick to toast.

My foray into cooking in high school involved boiling some eggs, forgetting about them, having the water run out and the eggs tasting burnt, microwaving a hotdog and adding cheese (sliced over an inch thick) and having rice with cheese (we had the rice and cheese often, actually). Cheese makes everything better. My friend and I made this one memorable lunch break and couldn't stop laughing, the whole thing was a disaster. Even the cheese was in wedges that wouldn't break off the block properly. We took pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 05-30-2014 at 11:20 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
Cheese makes everything better.
Truer words were never spoken. I put cheese on things that make other people saw "ewwwww!"

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Cat Addict

AMEN to that
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Tom Cat

This is probably going to sound really odd but I hate soup! It isn't the taste exactly it is just the texture of it that I hate so much. I will eat it up if someone gives me some but I would never in my life ask for it. Runny liquidy food no thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page