What vacuum cleaner is best? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What vacuum cleaner is best?

After my Hoover Pets does its job, I have to kneel and brush the wall-to-wall by hand and get tons of hair out. This is when vacuuming once a week.

What's your experience? What vacuum cleaner do you have and which would you want to have?

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Premier Cat

I have a Dyson Animal and love it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Cat Addict

I wanted the Dyson animal SO bad, but I just could not let myself pay that much money for one. I would even settle for the regular Dyson, tried to find one on sale, they did have them marked down to $279! For a Dyson! This was last year at Target, and while I was busy trying to talk myself into getting it, they sold out I cannot tell you how sad I was. I ended up buying a Shark Navigator lift away. $179. It is NOT the Dyson, but it does a very good job. Better than my Hoover ever did. I'm not crazy about the hose attachment though, it is awkward to maneuver. But it picks up very, very well.

The Dyson is hands down, the best. I have also owned an Oreck, which picks up surprisingly well on bare floors. It does not blow the dirt around like some vacuums do. I have an Oreck that I have had for 5 years and it still works as good as the day I got it. It does not have attachments with it though, and I hate that. That vacuum was not cheap, it was $400, but my sister bought one at Target or Walmart for $199, and it works as well as my $400 one.

If money were not an issue, I would definitely get the Dyson. They last forever, and I don't think anything out there beats them. The Shark does have a handy pet hair attachment to it which works great. It even gets the hair off of the cat tree and does a great job on the furniture, that is the one thing I love about the Shark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Premier Cat

I'm on year 9 with my Dyson.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The Dyson Animal is $630 here, a lot indeed. I'd buy it if I knew I'd be staying in this rented apt with the wall-to-wall for a few more years, but I cannot know. And I won't have carpets anywhere else I go.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

I love my Miele (5+ years), but I just got a cordless 2-in-1 Bissell and I absolutely love it for quick vacuum jobs. It picks up litter just fine and it's great for cleaning all my bathroom mats all over the house (especially in the litter box area). The 2-in-1 part is that it has a hand-held vacuum you can take out.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Premier Cat

I have a Hoover Elite bagless, about 5+ years old now. It does a terrific job of sucking out that cat hair. Disadvantage is I have to stop and empty the canister after every room, but then again I have 5 cats here!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Premier Cat

I have the Hoover Platinum upright and canister, and a Hoover commercial canister vac. I think the Platinum works better, but the commercial canister has a rubber brush attachment that is absolutely great at getting fur out of upholstery.

It's completely irritating, though, that the hoses on the two canisters are different sizes, so the attachments aren't interchangeable.

I had an Oreck for 10 years before that (also upright and canister), and I never had a problem with it, but it wasn't as effective as my current Hoover.

Isn't the Shark Rotator supposed to be amazing? And it's pretty cheap (under $200). But I can't justify buying another vacuum.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Cat Addict

I've heard that the Dyson works just as well on bare floors as it does carpet. I do have a Dyson rechargeable stick vacuum, and it is great for quick pickups, but the charge only lasts 15 minutes.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Kitten

have been happy with my shark navigator for carpets. it was a step up from my dirt devil. when I finally move out, maintenance replaces the carpeting anyway. new place will not be carpeted. SN not sure its so great for furniture. sometimes I just use one of those mitts to get fur off furniture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page