Which Dyson is the best for pet/cat hair? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Question Which Dyson is the best for pet/cat hair?

My current generic (Eureka) canister vacuum is no longer up to the task of cleaning my townhouse. It was fine before I had cats, but it doesn't do that well with cat hair on carpets/fabric. Cat hair clogs the filter, the vacuum overheats, then shuts down - I can barely make it through cleaning a single bedroom.

I started looking at Dyson vacuums, since they have a good reputation. There are so many different models in their lineup, that I'm not quite sure which one would be the best to get... as it stands, I'm partial towards the cordless models - I think the extra portability would make vacuuming less of a chore. I also want to be able to vacuum my bed sheets and other fabrics i.e. sofa, which a handheld would allow.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between the DC45 Animal, DC62 Animal, and DC72 Animal. I'm assuming the DC72 is the best one, but I really don't know if it's worth the extra cost, or if one of the less expensive models would be sufficient for my needs?

I live on my own in a relatively small space, so being able to clean my entire home with a cordless in single charge shouldn't be a problem.

Caretaker of two black cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Cat

I have the DC59 motorhead, and I LOVE it! It's actually better for picking up hair than the animal is. And it's cordless which is a plus. It's really, really great. And I have 16 pets.

Edited to add: It's basically the same thing as the DC62 only it's newer and has better reviews.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks for the tip, Gabby - I don't see it in Dyson's Canada webpage, but I'll keep an eye out for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Cat

We just bought the Dyson DC 39 Origin. Got it for 199.98 @Target about 1 month ago.
So far I can't complain about it. At least I am able to vacuum under the table or bed without moving furniture
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Premier Cat

I have a Hoover Elite canister and it SUCKS!! no, I mean REALLY, it sucks! It's the BEST vacuum I've ever had and it really does great on cat hair! I LOVE it!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Cat

Im in Australia and it sounds like the models are a bit different but something that I found interesting when talking to the sales rep at the store.. there were 3 options of DC54: original, allergy and animal. I was looking at the animal, but the rep told me that basically they are all identical, its just the head and attachments that differ. So I went with the allergy (came with a better head than the base model) as I didnt need all the other attachments, and saved $200.

Only used it once but I LOVE it!

Edit: Quickly searched your models. Mine is a barrel type. Would still be worth asking about the difference in mechanism etc though

Last edited by happy_panther; 09-22-2014 at 10:15 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Cat

I have a DC39 Animal. I LOVE my Dyson!

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Cat Addict

I gave in and bought a dyson animal..65? The new version. I had a credit and got it on sale so it wasn't that bad.

I have to say....so far . Definately better than my hoover. I found it a lil hard to manuever. Love the canister. Easy breezy and filyters...just wash and air dry. I have shag carpets...so it has to have good suction...which seems to have. I'm happy
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Cat Addict

I wish I could get a Dyson. I have never heard anyone complain about any of their Dysons. I actually do have a rechargable stick one, I'm not sure which model, but it stays charged for 15 minutes and cost about $250. It is good for small pick ups, but there is no way I could vacuum the whole house with it. I have an 8 year old Oreck, that still works great, better on bare floors though than carpet. I decided I couldn't afford the Dyson, so I spent $200 and got the Shark Rotator, and it actually works very well. I am surprisingly pleased with it, I really thought I would hate it. No, it's not the Dyson, which is hands down better, I have used my sister's and it is the bomb diggity, but the Shark does very well also. After a few months it was not picking up and I was so mad, I was going to take it back, when I found out that a sock had gotten sucked up it and was blocking one of the hoses. It's decent on bare floors too, it does not blow the dirt away like some vacuums do. I would say the Shark is a B- where the Dyson is an A+. I think you could definitely get away with one of the smaller Dysons, I am not sure of all the different model names, but I researched these vacs for months before buying my Shark and I had heard that the smaller ones were every bit as good. Some didn't like them because they had a shorter cord, and they felt like they had slump over because the vacuum itself is shorter, but that is the only complaints I consistently read.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks everyone for all the feedback so far it sounds like just about any of the Dyson models would work for me. I've also heard good things about some of the Shark models... and also discovered the rather heated Dyson vs. Miele debate online (which I'm going to ignore). The different model #'s between countries confuses things a bit; I just want one that works both as a short 'handheld' as well as the traditional long attachment for floors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page