Do you use Yelp? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Do You Use Yelp?
Yes, all the time 2 16.67%
I use a search engine like google and if a Yelp link comes up I will look at it 7 58.33%
No, I never use Yelp 1 8.33%
Other - please post an explanation 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Do you use Yelp?

Yelp is trying to get me to buy advertising on their site. I rarely ever go there, so I'm wondering if a lot of people use it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

I don't trust it, I know they have sketchy, almost extortion-like practices for owners of businesses. I posted something positive about the hairdresser I switched to, and they wouldn't show it because I was "new." I do read them when I'm doing google searches, but I take them with a grain of salt. A lot of "good" reviews have been outed as employee and owner reviews, too.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, I always check yelp reviews.
Of course all like all reviews you have to weed out the sour grapes, whiners, and idiots.
I also love it for restaurants when people post photos of their meals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I also love it for restaurants when people post photos of their meals.
I do like those!

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Tom Cat

I have used it before but not often

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Cat Addict

My suggestion is to ask your best customers to post good reviews on yelp. I don't even look at advertising but I check reviews. I have heard rumors that they do things to skew the ratings for people that pay. They will hide bad reviews. I don't know if that is true. My auto mechanic has fantastic reviews on yelp and I don't think they advertise. They are fantastic so I don't doubt that one. I think reading the reviews can help me understand more about a place but I have been disappointed. I also think it is important to monitor your yelp site in case you do get a bad review and you can defend yourself. How are your rating on yelp now?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
My suggestion is to ask your best customers to post good reviews on yelp.
This is one of the major problems and why I don't really trust the good reviews. There are places that actually offer discounts to customers who post good Yelp reviews.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah...I'm not comfortable asking customers to do that, I feel that if they want to post a review they will do it on their own.

One of my competitors gets lousy reviews on occasion (I'm actually surprised there aren't more...they're nasty people) and then within a few days there are a bunch of positive reviews when there hadn't been any reviews in months. It's so obvious that they asked people to post to counteract the negative review. I can't believe anyone would actually fall for it.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Premier Cat

I've used it mostly for restaurant reviews. You do have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. I dismiss the ones that are too positive or too negative. Sometimes, though, that's all you find. Most of the people who don't have strong opinions either way probably don't take the time to write a review.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Cat Addict

I guess it is all relative. I look at the number of reviews, the dates, what they say, etc. I saw a news show where they exposed companies that employ people that leave good reviews on different sites. Some were teenagers that really knew nothing about the product. I agree probably not nice to ask customers to leave reviews but I have seen signs that say if you think we gave good service, please consider leaving a review on yelp. It is interesting to look up businesses you already use and see what people say. I know the younger you are, the more you do check sites for reviews. I am not engaged in all that but I do check BBB and yelp and look up "complaints" a lot of times before I use a business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page