Food Dehydrator - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Food Dehydrator

I'm thinking of getting one (with my Christmas money).

What kind do you have and, after buying it, how often do you really use it?

What options do you wish you had gotten that yours doesn't have?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Premier Cat

I have this one : https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CIwBEKYrMAA

I used it once and went back to doing it in the oven. I put super thin fruit in it and left it on for 2 days.... all I had was brown rotten fruit.

It's likely I didn't use it right but.... I just prefer the oven.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

omg, that's the exact one I was looking at, and my question about options was because I saw this comment:

Quote:
My only complaint: there is no temperature setting, one-size-fits-all.
Yeah, Krissy, I think this is your problem:

Quote:
and most importantly it's quick 6-8 hours

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Kitten

My family has an Excalibur dehydrator and we love it. It has nine trays, you can choose the temperature, and a timer. Only disadvantage is the trays are kid of big for our kitchen sink so it's slightly cumbersome to wash. It's worth it, though.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

thanks! That's definitely a nice one, not sure I'm up for spending quite that much money, though.

I mostly was interested because I get the rotissarie chickens, which I LOVE, but I don't care for the white meat part. I'd like to make that into treats for my girls. And I love jerky, so I'd like to check that out, too.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Cat

I have a small Nesco which I got mainly for making food for my aquarium snails. It works good, but I can't fit much in it. I once tried a sweet potato, ONE potato filled up all the tiers. I'm happy with the way it works though. I like that it doesn't put out a lot of heat and you can just forgetaboutit for awhile. If it were bigger I'd probably use it more.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks. I'm almost afraid to ask what snails eat.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Premier Cat

That's interesting. My first thought was... ALGAE but no..

Description
This recipe has been designed for apple snails but will work for just about any freshwater snail.

Ingredients
8 oz Chicken livers
4 oz Lean fresh white fish meat
2 oz Cuttlefish bone powder
Directions
Boil chicken livers in 3 cups water for 15 minutes. Drain water and let livers dry and cool for about 15 minutes. Add all ingredients to a food processor or food grinder and puree into as fine of a paste as you can. If cutlefish bone is not available, oyster shell flour can be used. The high calcium suppliments are great for the snails shells. The mixture can now be frozen of dehydrated in a food dehydrator for storage.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well, that's not fitting into the small Nesco!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Cat

That's a good recipe, MowMow. One of the simpler ones I've seen! I may try it.

Marie, because you asked , I just use whatever veggies I have on hand, puree in blender, add a protein and calcium source, and spread onto the fruit rollup tray to dry. You don't want it too wet or it'll take forever to dry. I know that's getting OT , however, the same process would apply for dog/cat treats if you have a mushy mixture. I like the chicken pieces mentioned upthread too. Oh yeah, and I cut off some lavender stems that I've been meaning to dry for potpourri. Maybe it's time to get the Nesco out again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page