Possible solution to neighbors barking dog. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Smile Possible solution to neighbors barking dog.

My daughter saw this somewhere and thought it might be a friendly solution to an annoying neighborhood barking dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Cat

That is amazing.

I feel bad that my dog barks at my neighbors through the fence. But that is for two minutes, not hours. I couldn't leave them outside that long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Iím thinking about buying one for my daughterís dogs. She has two dogs and one a chocolate lab barks at her neighbors every time they are out on their patio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Jr. Cat

This is a great idea. I have neighbors two doors down that got a dog and keep it outside a majority of the day. Every time a door opens (anywhere in the neighborhood), a car door closes, someone walks by the house, or any noise happens that the dog can hear, he starts barking. And barking. And barking. Sometimes he does this in the middle of the night. It drives me crazy! Wish I had the money to buy a bark collar for them, but I doubt they'd use it...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Tom Cat

Possible solution to neighbors barking dog.

I would personally just go and talk to the neighbors instead of buying something. I had a neighbor leave a note for me once because one of my boys was barking all night. I had to rush my ex to emergency at 2 in the morning and thought the dogs would just sleep, but one didn't. I explained the situation and that we never left the dogs alone at night and everything was fine. I would have been very put off to find a bark collar left for me.

Not to mention, depending on why the dog is barking a punishment based device like a bark collar can actually make the dog worse if they begin to associate the shock from the collar with a person, child, dog, etc.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with possibly being put off by having this left. Plus, if they're not going to use it, they're sure as heck not going to return it so you can get your money back.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Cat Addict

No. No no no no no.

I completely sympathize that barking neighbor dogs are obnoxious. But bark collars are not a good solution. Dogs bark for a number of reasons, but they ALWAYS have a reason. Strapping a bark collar on does not fix the problem, but it sure can make it worse.

If your neighbor's dogs are bothering you I'd suggest leaving pamphlets for a local positive trainer in their mailbox, with a polite note that says their barking is disturbing you.

Kayla is spot on that bark collar can actually increase problems. Anxious barkers will still feel anxious, but have no outlet to express that. Aggressive dogs may become more aggressive, to the point of biting. A dog who was merely bored or excited before could become neurotic and/or aggressive.

Aside from that I have personally seen dogs with wounds from incorrectly used collars. Are you willing to bet that your neighbors will read the manual, not just strap it on and zap away? I wouldn't be.

If you absolutely MUST buy something buy one of these:

and put it on your own property. They're another kind of bark deterrent, and they might bother your own pets, but they don't cause long term damage if used inappropriately. Added bonus - you can leave your neighbors out of it.

Bark collars are not nice. Positive training is a permanent and humane option.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Premier Cat

My downstairs neighbor (the ones before the people now) used this on her two blue tick hounds. She said they couldn't wear it too often or it gave them ear infections.

This is a stop gap solution, I wouldn't wish this on anyone's pet.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Cat Addict

*sigh* That's so sad Krissy... what would likely cause that is the collars would up the dog's stress, and that would cause an ear infection.

Bark collars are shock collars. They don't vibrate (there are a VERY small minority of remote collars that have an actual vibrate function - those are different), they apply an electric shock when the dog does a certain behavior. So they don't just hurt, they also tell the dog it isn't allowed to communicate.
Now there's a recipe for love.../sarcasm.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
Bark collars are shock collars. They don't vibrate (there are a VERY small minority of remote collars that have an actual vibrate function - those are different), they apply an electric shock when the dog does a certain behavior. So they don't just hurt, they also tell the dog it isn't allowed to communicate.
Huh! I don't think this one does. I believe it just makes a hiss like the "Ssscat Spray"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page