Music question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Music question

I have a child who has played the clarinet in the school band for the past 2.5 years. Tonight she sat down at a piano and started playing Christmas songs. She had no sheet music, just was playing from memory. Is this a common thing to do? I know absolutely nothing about music. The last time I saw her touch a piano was when she was a toddler and just banged on the keys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Premier Cat

I was just going to ask that myself! I came home tonight to MowMow playing 'The Nutcracker' with a pair of spoons! Neelix was accompanying on the pots and pans!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 01:44 AM
Premier Cat

Sundown
Why not ask your child? Perhaps she has played with a keyboard at school or even at a friend's house? As a child, I used to play simple tunes by sound and memory, but if she was playing more difficult songs, it's more likely she did some kind of practice without your notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Some people just have that gift. My son, who is also in the school band, can play songs by ear. He's also taught himself how to play "Minuet" on the piano. He also has composed songs as well. This is a video I took of him playing one of his compositions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_MXYmbv9yU
He's sixteen years old and has never had a piano lesson.

----------
Renée

Last edited by my5kitties; 12-20-2014 at 03:44 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Yeah, already talked to her. I know she doesn't have access to a piano anywhere else. She was playing songs from her winter band concert. She simply said that the notes are the same. Like I said, I don't know anything about music. I was just surprised that she was able to take what she knew from clarinet and apply it to the piano.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:52 AM
Premier Cat

I think if you can read music, it's certainly easier to play a piano than say, a violin! But she may also be blessed and have a certain knack for it a well. It's always encouraging when you see teens do something great on their own!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Wow Renee, that is impressive. My daughter's Girl Scout leader (we had just finished a meeting when she started playing the piano) asked her if she was playing by ear. Her response was, "Huh?" She has mild ASD and is very literal. I had to explain the expression to her. I don't think she was playing by ear, I think she was playing by memory. I want to encourage this if it is something she wants to do.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 04:17 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Thank you. My son has what's known as selective mutism. At home, he will talk my ear off, but at school...silence. And he's been like this since he was in the 3rd grade, so roughly about 7-8 years. I mean, he's beyond shy. At first, he wouldn't even acknowledge if someone spoke to him. Now, he at least nods if he's spoken to. And he is interacting more with the kids in band. He still may not talk to them, but he won't isolate himself, either. He will hang out with the drumline in class (he plays 1st snare) and will laugh when the kids make jokes. His band director has told me that in the three years he's had Christopher in his class, he can see a big difference in him and he can tell that Chris is on the verge of talking. He can also see that Chris is an awesome musician and can see him going far with it.

----------
Renée
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Premier Cat

Sundown, I think you might just have a child prodigy on your hands! Common?, of course not! Wonderful?, absolutely!!! I hope her parents nurture this gift.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Premier Cat

WOW!

Has she had a lot of formal music training, or learned more on her own? Does she have a keyboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page