Whatcha readin'? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Whatcha readin'?

Time to dig out books for the summer reading season. (Although I've never understood that summer should be more seasonally acceptable time to read. I actually tend to read more when it's cold outside. Whatever.)

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that my mom's husband, my step-dad Don passed away suddenly Christmas Eve after having been in our family for 19 years. After that, an attorney I work with gave me Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking". She (the lawyer) had lost her father in the last year and said the book really revealed some personal insights to her. I'm taking a stab at it, it's not my usual reading material, but it may be helpful.

That said, I'm also reading some funny stuff to balance out emotionally, LOL. I just read "Underwood, Scotch, and Wry" by Brian Meeks. It was actually pretty funny in a sarcastic sense, being on of the free books in the Kindle store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:51 PM
Premier Cat

I'm with Jeff! Reading is a wonderful winter pastime! Nothing like hibernating with a good book, a fire, and your furkids cuddled up with you!
At the moment, I'm not reading anything! I have a very eclectic taste in books, SciFi, mystery, biographies, etc, etc!!:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:14 AM
Premier Cat

I have to confess I am not a fan of reading. I rather watch a good movie. My whole family loves to read, I am the odd one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:38 AM
Tom Cat

As a college student, summer reading season makes a lot of sense. I'm not inclined to read much more than my texts during the semester. I like reading heavier fare. The last book I read for pleasure was The Brothers Karamazov at the end of last summer and I think I'm going to stick with Dostoevsky and go for The Idiot next! Really excited

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Cat Addict

I'm an addict! In the absence of anything else, I'd read the back of a cornflake packet. I have to do a lot of reading for work (currently a book about the history of crime and punishment in Derbyshire!) but for pleasure, I love novels - I am currently going through a phase of liking detective novels with an archaeological background.

Last edited by Arianwen; 04-14-2015 at 07:25 AM.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Premier Cat

I've got several books fiction and non-fiction, about Lincoln and the Civil War. Fascinating era! Besides the devastating epic battles, there was so much going on BEHIND the scenes, spies, intrigue... I ordered Dark Lanterns, by Frank L Klement at the library. It should be coming in a week or 2, we have something called Search Ohio. You can order books from other libraries in Ohio!
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Cool Cat

I'm reading 'someone knows my name' by Lawrence Hill- not lightheaded, but well written and I can't put it down.
I'm a bit of a compulsive reader too ��
Winter is the perfect time to read, curled up by the fire
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 PM
Cat Addict

Trying to get through the 'Game of Thrones' books, but time is my issue. I'm about halfway though book two (waaaaay behind I know...), and am watching the current season on TV. I really miss reading... I used to do it a lot when I wasn't working so much, and I LOVED to read as a child. I have a few that I would like to re-read once I have the time..."Fire Bringer" was wonderful and I've been really thinking about the 'Wizard of Earthsea' trilogy.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 AM
Premier Cat

I read constantly. And I do mean constantly. No sense telling you all what I'm reading now, because tomorrow it'll be different.

And, I'll read the same books over and over, if I can't afford to buy new ones for awhile.

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Premier Cat

I'm with Arienwen!! I will read virtually anything put in front of me! I save all my zillions of catalogs I get in the mail and take them up to the cat room and just sit and look at catalogs. I almost never find anything worth getting but every once in awhile I find an overpriced gem like these door stops. Purrfect for my cat room!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cookie (12).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	84953

Name:  black_kitten_doorstop_1_1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  1.7 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	orange_kitten_doorstop_1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	84969

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page