Navigating the world of dog care info! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Navigating the world of dog care info!

Dog parents, I need your help!

We are anticipating adding a doggie to our family within the coming weeks (a beagle, most likely) and I have been attempting to become better informed on dog nutrition, supplies, training, etc...

I used to work at a dog boarding kennel, so I probably have a better base knowledge than many new dog parents. I have been attempting to find information in the same way I informed myself about cat care: Googling forums, specific keywords, etc. I was NOT prepared for the ocean of options out there.

Can anyone guide me to some basic resources? I'd love to find a dog forum similar to this, or even a beagle forum. I've located a few, but it's hard to choose.

I found DogFoodAdvisor.com, which looks like a great resource, but is HUGE.

I just need some basics. It looks like wet food is better than dry, just like with cats. What are some well-regarded brands? Are they many of the same that we like for kitties? Even this "best of" list is a bit overwhelming, since there are some manufacturers listed that I've heard bad things about: Best Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

We feed Whiskey Nature's Variety Instinct. Is that a good option for dogs as well? I know to go with grain-free, high protein...

Throw info at me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Cat Addict

Hi there, as far as dog food goes, I would love to make my own, but don't have time so I have chosen Lucky Dog Cuisine. Their website is: luckydog
It is pricey, but the next best thing to cooking for your dog. They cook for you and then freeze the food and send it on dry ice. My two dogs have been healthier on this food than on a few others that we tried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Jamie!
Beagles are Adorable...they are also very active, snoopy dogs!
With a hunting instinct, as well...
If you're firm in training a puppy, you can more than likely train it to recognize that any cats you have...aren't prey!
As long as you've done some research into the breed, you're probably prepared to take one on!
I can't help with the food choices...
I do feed mine a grain free one (kibble...)
Hope some of our other doggie owners have some suggestions for you!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Cat Addict

As a bit of background, I do dog training through my small business and have been working 'in pets' for nearly 10 years (how time flies...lol).

I'd start of by planning to go to a positive reinforcement training class. Ideally, start about 2-4 weeks after you've got your pup, but consider a pre-puppy session for a brush up as well. It's amazing how many issues can be prevented with a single one hour 'how to start off' session with a good trainer!

For food, I'd always suggest raw first. I'd also strongly suggest buying a bag of whatever it is the puppy is on when you get him, to help with the transition. Ditto a big bottle of water as well if you can. (No one considers it, but pretty much every municipality handles their water differently, and with a pup already going through a million changes anything you can do to prevent the runs is a good plan! IMO.)

If you can't do raw, for whatever reason, pick a good high quality food, but be prepared to try a few. Give each food you like 2-4 weeks, to see how he handles it, then try a different one. Finding the right fit isn't usually an immediate thing, and giving the digestive system a variety is a good idea anyways. (not to mention that swapping regularly will give you some protection in the even one is recalled...)

I'd consider looking into nearby doggy daycares - again a positive facility is crucial - and see if that's an option for you. The daycare will likely suggest full days 5 days a week (because of course they will ) but in my experience most dogs go loopy if they're there that much. Give puppy a month or two to settle into your routine, then consider 2-3 half days of daycare a week - IME this is a good balance between socialization and exercise, and not over stimulating your dog and draining your wallet

With a beagle, start to puppy proof your house. Anything that may have been food at any point should be locked up. Get puppy proof garbage bins (pro tip - not the ones with a step to open the lid), and have his areas set up before you bring him home.

Ask if you can bring a toy from where he is now, or a bed, or even a towel he slept with there for 2 nights or so. Something to help him settle in.

Keep the first 2 weeks fairly quiet. No bunches of visitors, not visits to the kid's schools with puppy, no outings to petsmart with the puppy. Keep it calm and let him settle in. After that open up his world a little at a time.

For guests, rule number one should be 'if you can't follow my rules you can't play with my puppy!' and enforce it! It's easiest to do this if puppy is away when guests come over. That way you can brief them on the rules without Fido licking and jumping - and they have no excuse for 'forgetting' the rules

I've got a million more...but that's a good place to start. Enjoy your new puppy!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie.lynne View Post
It looks like wet food is better than dry, just like with cats. What are some well-regarded brands? Are they many of the same that we like for kitties? Even this "best of" list is a bit overwhelming, since there are some manufacturers listed that I've heard bad things about: Best Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

We feed Whiskey Nature's Variety Instinct. Is that a good option for dogs as well? I know to go with grain-free, high protein...
While wet food is always a good option, dogs drink enough water to offset the dehydration problems and potential kidney issues that dry food presents for cats. However, good canned food has a much lower carb content which makes it a better choice. The problem is that the volume of canned food needed to feed a larger dog presents a couple problems...very often the volume is just too large, kibble packs a higher calorie content in a smaller package. And the volume needed is just not affordable for many people...Instinct canned for a 25 lb Beagle will cost over $125 a month. As opposed to feeding Orijen kibble for about $30/month. So many people feeding dogs will use a combination of kibble and canned. BTW, the Instinct canned cat and dog are identical formulas. Feeding commercial raw is much cheaper than feeding canned.

Regarding brands...if the a brand makes a good cat food, then their dog food is good too. It doesn't always go the other way, for example, Taste of the Wild dog kibble is a very high quality food, but they use some pea protein in the cat kibble making it a good, but not great food.

Dog Food Advisor and Dog Food Analysis are both great sites for reviews. But they cover all brands good and bad, so there's a lot to wade through. You're looking for the same things in dog food as you are in cat food, so if you understand cat food you're quite capable of picking out a good dog food.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...

Last edited by doodlebug; 07-15-2015 at 11:43 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you all for your advice!

Not sure if you meant "puppy" literally, but I probably should have mentioned that we will be adopting from a beagle rescue, so the doggies we are looking at are 2-4 years old. Thankfully the rescue is being very accommodating in helping us find a dog to meet our specifications!

We will likely be taking the dog to work with us after he has settled in, since we are gone most of the day and it wouldn't be fair to him otherwise. My husband is a counselor and we would like to eventually get the doggie therapy certified. I work 4 days a week at an alternative school that is totally open to letting me bring a dog to the classroom (I'm lucky, I know!). There is a doggie daycare / boarding center just down the street with which we already have a good relationship from boarding the cat there a couple times. Maybe we will drop him off there occasionally if he needs some variety!

I have the rest of July off from work, which is perfect to help him get used to his new surroundings.

Thankfully the apartment is already kitty-proofed (we are blessed with a cat who sniffs out food and acts half-dog) but we know we are going to have to become more mindful. I see it as an opportunity to be forced into becoming more responsible, organized adults (we are still young'ns in our mid-20s...)

Doodlebug, I was hoping you would reply, since I remember that you own a pet food store

After I posted this thread, I was looking into the economics of feeding wet dog food and encountered exactly what you explained. Maybe we will feed a mixture of wet and dry. I was also intrigued by Merrick's "Backcountry" line that is "raw-infused"... Do you know much about it?

We feed Whiskey the canned Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet. Is the formula exactly the same, down to the details? I just compared the two and they look like they are the same, though the dog formula does not list the percentage of taurine.

If they are completely identical, we might need to switch to buying the big 13oz dog cans... MUCH more economical!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:58 AM
Cat Addict

Yes, the instinct dog and cat foods are exactly the same. People on the forum have contacted the company and the company has confirmed that the percentages are the same. And I think it would be awesome for you to do the therapy dog training! I did that with my last dog and it was so very rewarding for both of us. We used to visit a nursing home and I took her into my classroom from time to time.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 AM
Jr. Cat

Raw is always good. Wet food is not as big of deal for dogs. Many will drink water just to drink water even when not thirsty. Canned food is still often recommended because it tends to have a higher meat content than kibble but in the higher quality brands that is not really true. It is also easier to get picky dogs to eat meals rather than insist on grazing when you use some canned but for most dogs it doesn't matter. When not feeding raw we feed kibble. Usually taste of the wild because I have a combined 160lbs of dog and the cheapest grain free but when we have enough money we get Fromm. I like Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble for quick info on brands. Just a basic overview of the best and worst of each dog food separated into rating levels. Some then like to do research into the company and not use any brand that has had a recall at any point but I know even canidae has had voluntary recalls.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Cat Addict

Most dog rescues are brilliant. My darling has to live with a lot of cats and that was our only criteria for adoption (and that whoever it was would like long walks). She was and is brilliant. All of the cats we had at that point are now in paradise but she still lives with 9 of them!!! She should have been a disaster - a total mix but the two most dominant breeds being Greyhound and Staffie. She should have been a cat's nightmare but..... she loves them and they love her.

I have several friends with beagles and while some of the are marvellous with cats, they aren't the easiest to train.they have a high hunting instinct and can have a por recall.

have to admit that my dog would eat anything1!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page