Thanksgiving! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanksgiving!

Whatcha got planned?

This Thursday, I'm helping out at my church's free Thanksgiving dinner!

It's possible my family might all get together. I like one member's idea of prozac stuffing

Any deep friers in the house?

I like cornbread stuffing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Premier Cat

I'm on an elimination diet to figure out why I'm completely covered from head to foot with red itchy wheals. So Turkey and mashed potatoes can be done but no dairy, no bread, and no dessert except maybe some non dairy coconut macaroons....

I'll probably just stay close to home and not really celebrate this year. I'm looking forward to that 4 day weekend.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Premier Cat

Deep fry? For Turkey-Day?
No...I've got a family history with high cholesterol, so I don't eat fried foods often. Luckily, I'm a weirdo that doesn't like most deep fried things like chicken or doughnuts that most people love.

Thanksgiving will probably be a small get-together with family as it is every year. I don't know the details yet, but it's usually a pre-ordered meal that's prepared by our local co-op and with some items prepared by family, the only exception is pumpkin pie from Costco for me, lol.

And no 4 day weekend for me, will most likely work that weekend, or at least that Sunday, for a full 12 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 05:18 AM
Cool Cat

My extended family of about 20 gets together at my mom's every year and everyone brings delicious food. Turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked beans, all of the delicious homemade sides and desserts imaginable... so yummy and a great time.

Sadly, I work retail so I will be rushing to work right after I eat. Working 5pm-5am Thanksgiving evening at good old Hollister.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Cat Addict

Oh Mandy & Ellie I think it's such a shame that there can't be just one day that retail can't manage without trading.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Jr. Cat

I'm traveling out of state to see my extended family!...which means I have to leave Auglaize behind. My mother-in-law will be stopping by to check on her. This will be the first time Auglaize will be alone overnight in the house (as opposed to the apartment), so hopefully she does ok!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Premier Cat

Staying home, fixing dinner. Just a few of us but bought a huge turkey! We all love the leftovers and they don't last long. Mashed potatoes, green beans, gluten free cornbread stuffing, pumpkin pie! Can't wait!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy and Ellie View Post
My extended family of about 20 gets together at my mom's every year and everyone brings delicious food. Turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked beans, all of the delicious homemade sides and desserts imaginable... so yummy and a great time.

Sadly, I work retail so I will be rushing to work right after I eat. Working 5pm-5am Thanksgiving evening at good old Hollister.

5 A.M.!? That would put you at a retail store on-BLACK FRIDAY! Just tell 'em you're barely conscious from the turkey enzymes, but you COULD drive to work in your sleep... 'No, no, just stay home and crash...'
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Premier Cat

M&E,

I certainly hope you're getting paid at the holiday rate and overtime for that. Working retail can be fun, but there are also major caveats. I think the Black Friday sales are a getting to be a bit ridiculous over the past few years. Who wants to skim their family feast and stand in crazy long lines? Not me. I've been avoiding malls from T-Day til New Years for several years now.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Senior Cat

I'm considering not eating for the next week so that I can deal with the 2 Thanksgiving Day meals I have to eat ("lunch"/early supper with my family, and dinner with my boyfriend's family. We do all the cooking for his family since his mom had a stroke two years ago.)

I've been bravely managing two Thanksgiving Day feasts a year for the last 15 years ;} It's fun though, as my family is Mexican on my mom's side, so our Thanksgiving meals are a mix of American and Mexican dishes. My boyfriend is Chinese, but his family always makes a fully-traditional American Thanksgiving meal!

I most look forward to the delicious "shi-fan" (rice porridge) that gets made with the remaining turkey meat after Thanksgiving Day. My boyfriend's mom used to make a giant pot of it, now we learned the recipe and it's our duty. It's the most magnificent meal on a cold night in Southern California (you know, when it drops below 60F or so...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page