The Complaining Thread - 2017 - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Jr. Cat

Coyotes in area and husband still lets the cats out when it's dark!

So I'm on this neighborhood site and one woman posted a couple of days ago that there were 2 healthy coyotes in her yard and had a cat up in a tree. She went outside and scared off the coyotes and got the cat down but then it ran off. She described it as a small gray cat with tags which is a general description, but it describes one of our cats. She gave me her address and it's possible our cat could have gone that far. I know when she hops over our fence, she heads towards a copse of pine trees in the cul de sac, but then she'd have to go through another cul de sac and another grove of trees to get to this woman's house. This woman says she sees this cat all the time over there.

And what really got me thinking is it was our cat is because I got this message the same day I found some disturbing stuff in our backyard. Two of our four cats (the two youngest) are wanderers so we got them locator tags. Not GPS because we don't have smart phones, but just a tracker that show how close they are to the house up to 400 ft. If they are further than that, they don't show up on the beeper. Our one wasn't inside when I got up on Saturday, which isn't unusual, but I always beep them if they aren't there to see where they are at. So I try beeping her and it shows her fairly close. I open the back door and it shows her as being even closer and I can here the beeping but can't see her. I walk to the beeping sound and I find the beeper on the ground and had somehow come out of it's silicon case, which is hard to do. I also see small tufts of hair around it. I immediately thought the worst. I go in and tell my husband who is concerned as well, but within 5 minutes she shows up at the door acting just fine. Her collar and the silicon case were all still on her, which is odd if the beeper came out. And like I said, this happened in the morning and I didn't get notification of the coyotes until the late afternoon.

I absolutely hate allowing them free reign of coming in and out of the pet door throughout the night because of this exact reason. However, my husband insists that we let them because otherwise they start waking us up at 3 or 4 in the morning by either pawing at our bedroom door if it's closed or coming it and tearing up the carpet and walking all over us. I've shut the pet door the past two nights, but even when I shut it at 7PM because they are all in and it's cold and rainy out, he will go and open it at 8PM because one is meowing and wants out, which means they ALL go out and he says "Okay you guys get 1 hour" which of course means nothing because they will go wherever they want. I'm the one who has wrangle them all in. Then this morning they were bugging us at 3:30 so I just got up and sat on the couch. He got up shortly thereafter saying he couldn't sleep. At 4:30 he says "Wait until 5AM guys then I'll let you out. I hear that coyotes leave by then". He was trying to be funny and I said that the lady said she saw these coyotes at about 6AM. But that doesn't phase him and he only waits about 10 minutes and opens the door for them. Out they went! 15 minutes later he's calling for them wondering where they are. Why did you let them out and NOW you are worried because they didn't stay on the porch?! Luckily they came back by 6AM but I am so tired of worrying about them and trying to keep them in when it's dark out but he feels either he's being mean by keeping them in or he's irritated he can't sleep so lets them out. Yet he seems worried shortly after he DOES let them out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page