The Weather Thread - 2018 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The Weather Thread - 2018

Last year, this thread started with San Diego being cold and rainy.

This winter, we've been breaking heat records, including the second hottest Thanksgiving in history (87 degrees).

Dear New England,

I will trade some sunshine for some cool weather.

Please.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Believe me, you don't want it. I definitely would trade for 87 degrees right now. After 2 weeks of daytime temps not getting above mid-teens, many days in the single digits and nighttime temps well below 0....we're now in the middle of a blizzard (literally, not just figure of speech). There's 12 inches of snow on the ground and we have another 4 hours before it starts to wind down, so likely over 16 inches total. Tomorrow we go back into the deep freeze again...the daytime high on Sat is supposed to be 3 degrees. The main drag and side streets in Hampton Beach are flooded, they said it's the worst flooding is recent history. This is the worst stretch of winter I ever remember in 37 years of living in MA/NH.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Jr. Cat

Hey doodlebug, I am in the same storm but down in Massachusetts. I have no idea how much snow is out there so far. I am inside, avoiding it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My first 20 years were in Alaska and New Hampshire. I did my time. So I pay a ridiculous amount for gas, rent, food, EVERYTHING. We call it the Sunshine Tax. But I do still have family in New Hampshire, so I do feel for you all. I'd move back in a heartbeat if it wasn't for exactly what you're going through now.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

After it stopped snowing the wind really kicked in and we have some major drifts. I spent most of last night making sure that the vents for the furnace and hot water heater were clear. Both are located below windows, so I was pouring water out the window to melt the snow around them. I had shoveled the deck and an area for Jake several times but when I got up the morning it was all blown over. Poor Jake wasn't willing to wait for me to shovel again and went into snow halfway up his body and just peed where he stood.

Good news is that after a very cold weekend (high of 5 tomorrow and low teens today and Sunday) we'll be having a heat wave next week. Temps in the 30's and even a couple days in the low 40's. It's going to feel like mid-summer!

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Jr. Cat

Keep warm doodlebug. Tomorrow, hubby and I have a quick one day trip back and forth to Portland Maine. brrrr
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

We were hit with a snowpocalypse over the last few days. Lots of snow and ice is crippling the city. We rarely get any snow here is SE Virginia so it's been hard on everyone.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:27 PM
Cat Addict

Certainly, the areas not used to snow have a lot harder time with it because often there isn't adequate snow removal budget and also drivers are not used to navigating through it. My parents were posted in El Paso in the 60s and an inch of snow literally shut down the city. On the other hand, I had work assignments in Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY and I was amazed at how well their crews did keeping streets safe. They definitely had the equipment and manpower prepared.

Here in Nebraska we're getting ready for another typical 3-6 inches, our normal type of snowstorm tomorrow. This one is supposed to start as freezing rain though, so I've already put in for a day of vacation. I'm too old to mess with skating rink conditions.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Tom Cat

We've had a very dry winter, with just a bit of snow at the beginning of November. For the most part it's been relatively warm, with a major two week cold snap in the last two weeks of December, and a mini-snap right now that's expected to last for 3 more days.
The farmers won't be happy. If we don't get some moisture closer to spring, they'll have trouble planting.
Oddly enough, the river still isn't frozen over. More than 14 days of temperatures in the -30C range (with wind chills below -40C) should have done that. So I guess the ducks and geese that decided not to migrate are happy about it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Premier Cat

Hi! Well, we've had a brief thaw! Me and Robin played in the snow, today! With the snow melting, he found some old landmarks!

I bundle up when I go biking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page