Tropical Fish - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Tropical Fish

Well, now I've had Punky longer than any other animal.

Sir Swims-a-lot, an orange African Cichlid bit the dust last night. I don't remember when I got him, but I had him for quite some time. Anyone else have a fish live a real long time like that? My aunt had a goldfish in her bathroom for something like six or seven years.

Aside from the large aquarium in the living room I have a small 2.5 gallon aquarium on my desk, Punky and Elly loved to watch him when I sat at the computer.

I've been thinking of getting one of those fat fantail goldfish for the cats to watch... I want something fairly active. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 09:32 AM
Premier Cat

My bf has about a 10 gallon saltwater tank and used to have a small fish tank on his desk but got rid of it. Sugar loves watching the other fish tank on the arm of the sofa...

The longest living one my bf has it a blue damsel, he got it to start cycling the tank but that fish it tough!! It even made it when my bf moved to another house and didnt take care of the tank as much and it will still surviving!! Of course we thought it was dead but nope, it was still there. He takes very good care of the tank now so rest assured the fishies are ok now in healthy water.

Fun fish are clownfish, and those spotted black and white goby looking ones that shake back and forth, back and forth... If you have a freshwater tank I dont know much but I think tetras look really nice in big groups.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Cat Addict

I've had my betta, Mr. Whiskers II, for two years. Mr. Whiskers I lived for three. They're the only two fish I've ever had.

Hmm...I just realized that had nothing to do with what you asked...sorry.

I've been looking at starting an aquarium for a couple years now. It just kills me when fish die, though, so I've decided to do aquatic gardening instead. I can deal with plant death. I'm waiting for my company to move before I start one, though, so it'll be a while longer before I can get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

A beta would be cool, so would salt water.. but there aren't any petstores in town that sell salt water fish or I'd try it out.

Going to give my tank a few days to run without any fish in there before I buy something else. I'll probably just head to the store and pick something out that catches my eye. I'm reconsidering the goldfish because they're pretty dirty and I don't want to create any extra work for myself.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 02:49 PM
Premier Cat

The only thing with the fancy goldfish is that they are much more delicate than standard goldfish. Fancy goldfish are inbred to look the way they do. And as we all know here, inbreeding eventually weakens the line, hence fancy fish are weak. I found they are very prone to whitespot. They are sposed to have blean filtered water because they also struggle to absorb the O2 from the water. In my experince there i kept 3 in a small plain bowl with just an air pump, did a water change every other day and they did great. But if you want to go by the books they say filtered water
Also watch as some breeds of fish are prone to deciding to jump outta the bowl! I had a japenese weather loach (this is when i went to a 2ft tank instead of a bowl) and i decided to go tropical because all my other cold water fish had died off. In my research i found that these guys can live in tropical water. Anywho, while i empties my tank, gave it a **** good clean out i put the loach in my old bowl. And that guy jumped out at every chance he got! in the end i had to put a plate over it. Also in the petshop i use to work in they got 4 in. They were in a 3ft tank. By the end of the day that we got them delivered they had all jumped out and died.(Mostly overnight!)

anyway, long stroy short, research that the fish is ok with what you want to put them in
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 09:58 PM

I have a 33 gallon aquarium with about 14 fish in it. I have a Moonlight Gourami and a Rainbow Shark that are absolutely enormous! They have lived for 6 years or more and have survived many movings....my 33 gallon sprung a leak and they had to stay in a 20 gallon for a while, then back into the 33 gallon. They have been in and out of coolers for HOURS while we moved.....and they are still going strong!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
You're looking for something to put in you 2.5 gallon?

I'd suggest a betta fish, personally. They're absolutely beautiful, are full of personality, and yes, the cats love them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Premier Cat

Gosh that kitty's head looks so huge compared to the fish, I bet the fish is thinking the same thing!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I'm liking the betta idea more and more. I'd probably replace my gravel with marbles and try to keep a live plant.

I'll keep you guys posted
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Cat Addict

Amber, your bettas are gorgeous! I'm a big fan of them. I feel like I'm rescuing them and pampering them when I get them out of that tiny little cup. I recently saved two from the "Lily Vase of Death."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page