Dog eating cat food! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Dog eating cat food!

He is 8 years old and has never touched my cats dishes before. I dont know what to do, He has never been a big eater, and I free feed him just like I do the cats. He can have a entire bowl of food and still will go to the cat dishes. When he eats their food he emptys all 6 bowls!!!
I cant afford to buy all the cat food and He has a huge bag of dog food..it is the same brand he has alwys eaten for 8 years. Also he only does it when we are not home because he knows he will get into trouble.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Lilly, my dog thinks cat food is ambrosia! I have to feed them in another room or he'd eat all of their food. When I had kittens I had to sit with them and watch them eat, or mother and father kitty would have eaten the kitten food. The grass is always greener......etc.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Cat Addict

I'm surprised the dog hasn't attempted to eat the cat food before. You may have to give the cats a little food at a time and supervise their eating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

It is actually just the opposite, Jerry and sometimes Lilly will eat the dog food. They never eat alot though and Mugsy(dog) also get table scraps along with his dog food, the cats never get table scraps.
It is so weird! Like I said before he is 8 years old and has never tried to eat cat food. Once we ran out of dog food and were short on money, so I filled Mugsys bowl with cat food thinking it would tide him over until pay day...he wouldnt even touch it!
Then last week he started eating the food I had wet with a little water to make it soft for the kittens, so I quit wetting the food because they are eating dry food really well now. Ever since then he wont quit!

Well we moved the cats food to the laundry room. The door between the laundry room and living room has a kitty door and this is where the litter boxes are. We put the food on the other side of the room from the boxes, however I have always heard not to put the food in the same area as the litter boxes because they wont use the boxes then. Has anyone ever heard this? The food and boxes are on oposite sides of the room, however it isnt a very large room?????
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think they'll be fine. It's the only solution I can think of. Our dog is so happy if we run out of dog food. They like the extra protein, I guess. Taste changes in us, so I guess it's the same with animals.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah how would you like to eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 09:50 PM

We have our cat food in the same room as the litter boxes and it's fine. And it keeps the dog out of the catfood--very much of it is bad for a dog, too much protein, upsets their stomachs and isn't good in general for their systems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 PM
tio
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to tio
My dog usually eats cat's food as if she chews candy or snack! But she prefer rice and fresh food. I think if the problem is out of your control, you should be strict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page