Wisdom Teeth - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Wisdom Teeth

Has anyone on here had their wisdom teeth taken out?
I've only had one tooth come about a year ago and I'm 23. However, it didn't come in all the way and now my fiance is telling me that he has heard that the flap of skin over part of the tooth and the fact that it hasn't come in all the way could indicate periodontal disease and that it is pressed up against my jawbone and other tooth. (He is getting his wisdom teeth out Thursday).
He thinks I need to go the the dentist and see if I need it out but I really don't want to because #1 I have no time between planning a wedding and already having no vacation days. Plus the fact that being out of commission for 4 days would put me massively behind in my training program. #2 I have been and still am terrified of dentists. Something about it just totally freaks me out...always has. The thought of ripping my tooth out, possible dry socket and excrutiating pain doesn't help.
On the other hand, I don't want to mess up my mouth or teeth by avoiding it. And it would be nice if I did it soon when my parents would still be picking up the tab. Lord knows we won't have any money once we getting married. Eh. Maybe I'll just go and have it checked out and see if I want to do it soon or wait until after September.
Anyone who's had theirs out, how bad was it?

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 01:09 AM

Flapper

Okay...I have the falp thing over where my wisdom tooth should be. I've also been to the dentist sice the flap's appearence and the Dentis didn't seem to think that there was anthing wrong with the flap. My advice: DOn't fix it if it ain't broke. I'd wait till AFTER the wedding for sure. My friend who happens to be your exact age just had hers out...well, it wasn't pretty. I wouldn't do ANYTHING until they start to cause you trouble. I know personally know a dentist and believe me...they'll drain your wallet weather you have something wrong or not.
Good luck!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Cool Cat

It depends on how the teeth are coming in. They could cause problems in the long run. Mine were coming in sideways (pushing forward against the rest of my teeth) and I got all 4 removed.

Some people can keep them in no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 AM

I had a wisdom tooth out a few years ago and it wasn't bad at all. In fact all that was used was novacain and afterwards I just needed a couple asprin but that's all. Not a bad experience at all... I also had an awesome dentist so finding someone you're comfortable with always helps.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
I had to get all four of my wisdom teeth cut out because my mouth wasn't big enough to fit all of those teeth--they were pushing my other teeth together. I had to get braces because of it. It didn't hurt that bad. Don't let it go if they are moving your other teeth because then you'll have to pay even more money for braces.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Cat Addict

If they're coming in sideways you can usually get a referral to an oral surgeon to have them removed.

This is a much better option because they can put you under for the operation, while dentists aren't legally allowed to. (at least in Michigan they're not). It's supposed to be much less painful this way.

That being said, I've been putting off having mine removed for about a year now - not a good idea. It's not messing with my other teeth but every now and again it hurts... bad.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Cat Addict

My dentist says I can choose whether or not to have mine removed. There's room for them and they're not impacted, but they're coming in extremely slowly. It's been about two and a half years and they're not all the way in yet. The bottom left one has a flap of skin covering part of it. I just have to make sure it's very, very clean. And, like Padunk, every once in a while it hurts really, really bad.

(Edit) Hey! I'm now a "Cat." No more Jr. for me! Whoop!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 02:14 PM

I have that same problem with my wisdom teeth. I havent checked with the dentist though.
I have been getting one in, or coming through my gums or whatever for around two years. It usually doesnt hurt, however sometimes it really swells up and then it hurts. I kinda just figured it was normal to have a little pain associated with the breaking through of teeth. My girls both had a hard time getting in their teeth as babys.
I only am a little concerned about my teeth because it seems to be taking so long for them to come all the way in.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 02:29 PM

i've got one tooth that came in, the rest are just hanging out. i still have all four.

shlanon- i would go to a dentist to just have him evaluate the position of your teeth, he can tell you if you can wait a bit, of if you should get them out soon. because you definitely don't want to mess up your teeth.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Shlanon. I think you should get your teeth x-rayed. I had two impacted wisdom teeth. none on top. They just weren't there. It's part of evolution. Anyway. one became abcessed after trying to come in for a couple of years. I went to a regular dentist. I had problems! But an oral surgeon took out the other and I had no problems at all. Don't wait until you are up all night with pain, or 8 months pregnant, which is what I did the first time.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page