Iowa Caucus - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to sleeperalty Send a message via MSN to sleeperalty Send a message via Skype™ to sleeperalty
Iowa Caucus

Can someone please explain to me why a bunch of hillbillies in Iowa are suppose to be the deciding factor on who the rest of us should have as a candidate for the presidency nominees for the Democrats? Our country cannot be that stupid to let such a major decision based on what one hick state believes by locking a bunch of people in a room and having them make the decision. And all they basically do is form alliances, and try to get others to come on there side to cast a vote to represent the whole **** country. This sounds more like a inhome version of "Survivor", just with even bumber people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Cat Addict

The way I understand it, the Iowa caucus isn't the deciding factor for who will be running for president. They're just the first caucus of many. I found this site that helps explain what it is and why its significant:
http://www.drake.edu/public/caucus.html

Just as an aside, I don't think Iowa is a hick state. As a matter of fact, when I lived in the state of Washington, I viewed Ohio as a "hick" state and equated Ohio with Iowa and Idaho. I know better now.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Cat Addict

The Iowa caucus is really important only because it tends to weed out the lesser candidates. (Gephardt is an example.) It can set the tone for other states, but there is no guarantee Kerry is going to beat the other democrats. Many times the winner of the Iowa Caucus and/or the New Hampshire Primaries doesn't win his parties bid in the end. (Gephardt won Iowa in 88, but soon ran out of campaign funding)

New York and California hold primaries rather early, and those are the ones that really seperate the top two or three candidates.

On a side note: People from Michigan tend to think of Ohio as "down south" and a little hick-ish. I don't agree, however, because my family in Ohio is wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Cat Addict

Before I moved to Ohio, I had no idea what to expect. Ohio looks very different than Southeastern Washington, but I notice the people are very similar. Except that, in my experience, Ohioans don't like to travel much outside the state of Ohio.

Hmmm...this doesn't have anything to do with caucuses though. Sorry.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:58 PM

Coming from what many of you consider a "redneck" or state I am rather offended that just because you dont live there that you think their process is stupid and backward.

Its their state to decide who they want to spend their votes on to decide who to send to the big show. Dont complain because you dont like their process. They make no more difference on who runs or wins than you do in your yankee state.

BTW clinton didnt win Iowa
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to sleeperalty Send a message via MSN to sleeperalty Send a message via Skype™ to sleeperalty
I've lived in Ohio for 15 yrs, and its a hick state. there are maybe 4 main cities in the state that are pretty normal, but most of the state is filled with hillbillies.

I just personally dont like the whole process of Iowa's Caucus and so many people following their lead
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Cat Addict

i am locking this thread due to its inflammatory nature. we don't need to insult any people from any state with stereotypes of any kind.

Visit The Animal Rescue Site at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
feed an abandoned or abused animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page