I got a BirdFeeder! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I got a BirdFeeder!

Im on the 3rd floor and decided to get a birdfeeder and see if it'll attract any birds for my 2 cats to see. I'll post pictures when I get it up. Just wondering if anyone has birdfeeders too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Cat Addict

I'm going to hang one when the snow melts. I think it'll be amusing... as long as the birds don't leave too many droppings.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Cool Cat

I've had a pigeon perching on the sprinklerhead on my balcony for the past two days. My cats sit there and stay at him through the window for hours. Justin actually whines at me because he wants me to let him get at the bird! Hehe...crazy cats. The first day it was up there I was wondering what in the HECK are they staring at so intently that they didn't come and greet me at the door. Then I saw the pigeon..."ohhhhhh"
So yeah, a birdfeeder is a great idea. That sprinkerhead I just mentioned actually had a bird nest built on top of it last spring. And my roommate said there were baby birds in it last summer while I was gone. But maintenance knocked the nest down in the fall.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 07:48 AM

I have a couple of bird feeders hanging in a tree in my back garden. (They're at the end of the branch - too far for a cat to reach). The feeders are designed for smaller birds such as sparrows and bluetits, but on a couple of occasions I've seen parakeets trying to get to the food. Their beaks are too big to get inside the container! I've also tried hanging up net bags full of peanuts, but they don't last five minutes because the squirrels always bite through the cord and carry them away.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Cool Cat

I had a birdfeeders. Well - one of those bird bells. And it was rather hellish in a way. I was expecting to have a couple birds, but my balconey was remeniscent of the Hitchcock movie for a while. And not the nice birds we have around - just House Sparrow, Grackles and Starlings. And a few bluebirds that would just bury the seeds in my potted plants.

If more people had them I think it would have been ok. Or if I got an actual feeder that's less messy.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well since I put it up today I haven't seen any birds yet. Maybe its not the season yet b/c I haven't seen any around. Of course lately Sugar has been outside on the balcony catching flies and killing at least 2. Smart little girl, and of course Twinkie is just watching all this action.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I have had at least one bird feeder, usually two, and a hummingbird feeder for years. It's a miracle to me that one or two ounces of fluff can live through the terrible cold we've had in PA this winter. I also hang a suet block in a holder. They're available in the grocery store and dept. stores with a holder and hanger. The fat they contain help the birds make it through the winter.

I urge everyone to feed the birds in this weather. I get (depending on the season) sparrows, cardinals, mourning doves, blue jays, red and black grosbeaks, finches, woodpeckers on the tree, and it seems that every year I have to get out the bird book to identify a new guest just passing through. Of course I get grackles, blackbirds, and crows. I have a catbird (looks like a mockingbird) who comes and builds a nest here every year, the wrens who do the same, and robins, of course, but they don't eat the seed. It's a joy to see them. Also, at the back window, tufted titmouse and chickadees. They're little acrobats. Please feed them!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Cat Addict

My apartment complex doesn't allow birdfeeders on our balconys, but I think someone above me has one anyway. I notice I have a lot of birdseed on my balcony and I didn't put it there. I like it though, because some birds land on our balcony and Sabby likes to watch them. We even get blue jays and cardinals occasionally!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
They're beautiful! Perhaps you could have a window feeder or just put some seed on a cookie sheet-if the owner is worried about appearance. Bluejays and cardinals are so beautiful. Bluejays are really loud and tend to start trouble, but they're gorgeous! Something else you can do is to give them a piece of peanut butter bread--seriously! It has the nourishment and fat content they need. You could sprinkle some seed on top of it!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Cat Addict

I think they don't want us to have feeders because squirrels can be a real nuisance. I'm really tempted to buy some seed and just scatter it on the balcony every day or so...and blame the person above me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page