vitamins? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

vitamins?

ugh, my 9 month streak of good health has come to an end!

i started feeling ill yesterday. i couldn't breathe very well and was coughing. i have asthma and thought that was it, but the puffers aren't helping much. think i'm coming down with some sort of respiratory infection. i felt tired around 2 pm and went to bed for a nap. its almost 4 am now, and i just woke up! so something is definitely wrong!

i'm wondering...what kind of vitamins do you take for this sort of thing? i'm not full-blown ill yet, so i'm hoping to nip it in the bud with some vitamins. i don't have health insurance, so i can't really go to the doctor. antibiotics make my stomach sick anyhow. i'm going to run to the store later and pick up some OJ and some cough drops, but i'm not sure what vitamins i need. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 02:35 PM

you can try some echinacea. you're supposed to take it before you get sick, and only for two weeks at a time, but give it a shot. it boosts the immune system.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
marijun, if you get short of breath, please see the doctor. Asthma with an upper respiratory infection is an awful combination. And if you get bronchial asthma you might not be able to work for weeks. I've gone through that situation so many times! Let us know how you are doing, please.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:46 AM

Really do hope you get better soon It is awful feeling ill.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

i'm feeling a little bit better after many halls cough drops and some robitussin. at least it doesn't feel like someone's pushing on my chest anymore! its a bizarre feeling though, i don't think its a respiratory infection. very dry cough, no congestion, no sniffles. perhaps the dryness of my apartment caught up with me. my throat is really tickly, argh!

think i'll be playing hearts and pool at yahoo all day hehe

i've heard good things about echinacea, but have yet to try it. i have an uberherbalist friend, so maybe she can help me out. thanks!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

ooh while i'm thinking of it...

does anyone else's cats have a deep obsessive facination with menthol? lint would hork my cough drops right out of my mouth if i let him. when i'm taking one, he sits in my lap, gets up in my face and smells my breath and tries to lick my lips. i have to hide them when i go to bed. he used to try to eat my mom's menthol cigarettes too

what's up with that?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I don't know, but I know that if I have had my hands in Clorox water, and they still have that odor (it just won't wash away!) the cats want to wash my hands over and over. I know there's no Clorox left, but if the odor is there, they'll do it every time! Yuck.

Drink hot tea with lemon, take a vitamin C supplement, take it easy, and get well! You might want to simmer a big pot of water to get some humidity in the house. Heated homes have less humidity than the Sahara desert, according to what I've read!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 09:58 AM

Vitamin C is really good for when you aren't feeling good. My old roommate used to take it (and only it) anytime she got a cold or a "bug". I take it on a regular basis, but it really does help when you are sick.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Cat Addict

short of breath

Marijun, I don't want to scare you, but Jeanie is right. I had very similar symptoms in October. I have asthma and thought it was just a bad attack, but inhalers didn't really help. I had a dry cough that was worse when I was laying down, and I was very tired. I finally got so short of breath that it scared me, and I went to the ER (not my first choice, since I don't have insurance either!). Ended up hospitalized with heart failure. So, if it gets worse (or doesn't improve significantly) you may need to bite the bullet and see a doctor.

Take care of yourself, and please let us know how you're doing!

Hugs,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

Boulder, Colorado
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

wow! asthma really is a dangerous illness, i'm glad i've never had any serious complications before! mine is getting better as i grow older, but its far from gone.

i think what i've got is now just a cold. i'm not coughing as much, and the coughs i do have aren't as dry. i was really worried the first day, i've never had such a dry cough before! the annoyance has now moved to my head...got a headache and my nose will NOT stop running! i've nearly gone through an entire roll of toilet paper just blowing my nose today, and i'm pretty sure my nose is just going to fall off any time now

drjean, what caused the heart failure? suffocation? just curious. that must have been terrifying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page