rioting in city streets?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

rioting in city streets??

Maybe someone in a big city can explain this to me, but why do people riot when their hometown team wins a championship? I have never understood this.

I just read an article online about last night's rioting - which resulted in the death of a 21 year-old who was run over.

Maybe we are just boring here in Kansas, but we are a big football school and when we win big games, the town errupts into good times. When K-State won the Big 12 championship this year (1st time ever for us), people were so fun! Aggieville was packed with drunks, but good-natured ones. The police reported on the following Monday that not a single incident of fighting was reported.

So why do people do this? I could see why someone would riot if they were mad... but if you are happy??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 AM

Believe me it isn't just your town, we have it all the way over here, we have two really big rivals in football (Soccer) Rangers & Celtic and honestly the trouble it causes when then two play each other is just terrifying, I tend to stay at home when they are playing it's safer that way
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

We actually don't have the rioting here...it's the big cities - like the Patriots' fans rioting.

I just don't get it.

I would hate to have it in my town. I would stay home and hide like you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:18 PM

the last 2 years in a row we've had riots when the gophers (university of minnesota) won some championship. i think it's mostly alcohol induced, people have too much energy both from drinking and excitement, the go nuts, and others just get swept up. they set a couple cars on fire last time. luckily, i only live a couple miles from campus, but interstate 94 is between us.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
I think that Ohio State has become notorious for rioting over the past few years. I don't understand it at all. If you are happy, why do you want to tear up your stuff? I couldn't imagine parking my car along the street and coming back to it hours later to find it turned over and on fire--I would be sooooo mad! There were even some guys that broke into a campus bookstore and stole jerseys--I find it ridiculous.

I've seen some strange stuff on campus--one time I was at a party and these people were setting their own coffee table on fire inside their apartment. It didn't take me long to get out of there. Some people are just stupid.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Cat Addict

A little off topic here, but Kittygirl, I was raised near Ann Arbor, Mich and we had a saying...
Directions to Columbus: South until you smell it; East until you step in it.

I've been in downtown Detroit (pretty big "hockeytown" if you don't know) after two of their Stanley Cup victories and things were pretty controlled.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Cool Cat

I really don't understand either. Especially when the WINNING team riots! How does celebration turn to destruction?? It baffles the mind.

I suppose most of it is alcohol influenced as well.

And maybe I'm low on testosterone too - but I don't get as worked up as some people about sports. I mean - a guy at work had the Patriots parade crap on from 10am in the morning until 3 or whenever it ended. Gave me a freakin' migrane. And the people there were yelling like idiots the whole time. How is it possible to be that excited for so long?

I'll never understand.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Crowds do things that the individuals wouldn't do on their own-- especially drunken crowds. All it takes is a few people to get the others stirred up.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
And maybe I'm low on testosterone too - but I don't get as worked up as some people about sports. I mean - a guy at work had the Patriots parade crap on from 10am in the morning until 3 or whenever it ended. Gave me a freakin' migrane. And the people there were yelling like idiots the whole time. How is it possible to be that excited for so long?

I'll never understand.
I really enjoyed the SuperBowl. The traffic was light, the mall wasn't crowded, and there was very little competion at the serving bar of Hometown Buffet where my wife and I went to eat. I wish they had one every week. We still made it home in time to see the Patriots win.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Bean, about noise, excitement and headaches! There IS a connection. Music or pleasurable noise at a certain level produces excitement. Rock musicians know that. That's why the speakers blast at Rock concerts. People actually get excited and it's pleasurable to them.

Above a certain number of decibels, which is not very much higher than the Rock concert, the music or noise will cause pain. Obviously, you are more sensitive to noise, especially if it is something that doesn't interest you. One of my professors explained this to a class in 20 century music. He had previously played in a rock band. He was a classical musician, but the money was good. The only problem was that he was only about 36 and the hearing in one ear was not good.

Funny though, when I listen to a Beethoven symphony with the loudest parts really blasting I get very emotional, and sometimes I am so moved the tears roll down my cheeks, but the same volume in music I don't care for puts me in a terrible mood. Everyone is different. But even music you love will cause pain when above a certain number of decibels.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page