Anyone Else Have Ferrets? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Anyone Else Have Ferrets?

Hi all,
I was just wondering who else has ferrets, I think I recall that a few people here do.

We have 3:
There are 2 males- Shoops and Ozzy
And the female is Droxy.
We did have 5, but lost 2 since last summer.
We got Shoops and Droxy from a friend of my niece who was going off to collage and couldn't take them with him.

They sure do love to chase the cats!!!
Poor Chucky, Shoops loves to bite him on his backside!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 02:38 PM

I have 2 ferrets. Can't really manage to take a good picture because they won't hold still
I have:
Felpur - male; the theif
Cocoa - female; toe biter, kitten ear biter -(but very calm)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Premier Cat

I would like to have one but i heard they are very smelly, and i know they must get fixed if they are not going to be bred for health reasons which i cant afford anymore, plus my boyfriend had one when he was a kid and it bit him and didnt let go, so thats put him off them too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 09:15 PM

I have 2, a male and a female-and actually I don't notice much of a smell with mine at all. I use baby blankets for bedding, and change them daily, and clean the litter boxes twice a day, so that's probably quite a bit more then most people-but my babies are happier if I keep things clean for them.

My female, Frettchen, is the sweetest little girl. She loves to snuggle and gives lots and lots of kissies. We got her from a ferret rescue when she was 9 months old, she's almost 5 now. My male, Peek-a-boo Bandit, I got 4 months after Frettchen when he was 3 years old. He's a one women ferret. He loves to snuggle with me, and gives me occasional kissies. He's definatly a momma's boy. Unfortuantly, Boo has cancer, so he probably won't be with me for much longer. I'm just praying for as much time as possible with him and for knowledge that I know when it's time to let him go. I'm trying everything I can to stop the cancer from spreading any farther, but it's been a pretty discouraging battle. Here's a couple of pictures of my two.

This is Frettchen

Frettchen and Boo sleeping together

Boo playing in his carry sack

Boo all snuggled and cozy in his bed and blanky

These two are my heart and sole! I love my cats and my dog, but nothing compairs to my ferrets!!!! These two are such sweet little babies, I can't imagine life without a ferret now that I've discovered thier charms!!!!!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Premier Cat

Darling photos! I don't have a ferret, but I think they are so cute!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 11:12 AM

Gracie: I hope you know that it's not safe to have those collars on them dear. They can get caught on things and die. I know a lot of people think they are cute, or that the bell will help you keep track of them. But it's more important to just have a ferret proofed house and train them to come when called, or to a particular sound. Many ferrets have died because the owners leave collars or harness's on them.

Stormy: I currently have 1 ferret right now, though I've cared for 4 others in the past, and my fiance used to have 3 of his own.
Keiji is about 5 - 5 1/2 years old right now, he's a black mitted sable.
He was a terrible aggressive biter when I got him at about 2 - 2 1/2 years old, took many months to train him to stop that.
He's a cute little darling now, who of course is wonderful at causing trouble

Here he is screaming over being tickled:

Praying to the snow godess:

He's a snaggle Tooth!:

Destroying our nice Easter:

Such killer instincts:

And of course, the ever famous, ferret hockey!

Hee, hee sorry getting carried away, I have a million and one pictures. I love my furret, can't you tell
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for posting the great pictures all of the ferrets are sooo cute!!!
I have to get my nephew to help me post some picture as I a almost useless with a computer LOL!!!

I could never keep one of those collars on any of our ferrets they usually have them off in less than a minute!!

Zalensia,
Ferrets are usually only smelly if they are not spayed or nuetured.
The only smell our guys have is that sometimes they smell like nachos!!!(that's how I describe the smell anyway! )
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelZoo
Gracie: I hope you know that it's not safe to have those collars on them dear. They can get caught on things and die. I know a lot of people think they are cute, or that the bell will help you keep track of them. But it's more important to just have a ferret proofed house and train them to come when called, or to a particular sound. Many ferrets have died because the owners leave collars or harness's on them.
Actually, the collars you see on my ferrets aren't the normal collars you can buy for them. I have a lady that hand makes these collars with a version of the safety release you see on cat collars, but it's quite a bit weaker since ferrets obviously aren't as big, stong, or heavy as a cat. I've lost a few of them, but they always show up eventually, or I replace them. I like to keep ID on all my pets, and I keep safety collars on all my pets-I don't want to risk them getting outside and not being able to be returned to me.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 03:41 PM

Stormy: I think Keiji smells like lemon scented dust, hee hee.

Gracie's Mom: Too bad those won't be sold in stores instead of the regular ones.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelZoo
Stormy: I think Keiji smells like lemon scented dust, hee hee.

Gracie's Mom: Too bad those won't be sold in stores instead of the regular ones.
I agree, I wish they would throw out those other ones. I don't see why people think thier ferret can get in any less trouble then thier cat!!!! I know of ferrets that have strangled to death caught under a couch by thier collars! IMO it's much more dangerious then having a normal collar on a cat! I wish they where much more available. Then again, most other people I know that collar their ferrets wouldn't use them because they don't want to have to replace them when the ferret looses one(and they will loose some!) Personally, I rather loose a collar then loose my babies. Collars can be replaced, my babies can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page