anyone with a down comforter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

anyone with a down comforter?

Has anyone has any problems with their down comforter? I've had mine for 5 years, and I love it. I'm the type of person who has to be covered with blankets when I sleep, so it's been great b/c it's not too heavy, but warm enough....

Problem is, lately I've been getting soooo hot at night!! but when I wake up sweating, I can't take off the covers b/c I'll freeze.

Could it be that the comforter isn't allowing my skin to breathe...or what?

Has anyone else experienced this?? I don't want to give up my comforter, but I need to be able to sleep comfortably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Cat Addict

I have a down comforter. I notice the same sort of thing you're talking about. I don't think it's the comforter not allowing your skin to breathe, it's that the comforters just get that warm.

There's a store in Polson, Montana called Three Dog Down. If you're ever in that area, I recommend visiting it. Maybe the owner will sit in his barbershop chair and play you a song on his accordion.

The story goes that the native Americans in that area used to bring dogs into the teepee when it got cold. The colder it got, the more dogs they brought in. The coldest nights would be three dog nights.

They sell different grades of down comforters. Each one designated by how many dogs you'd need. My parents got a three dog comforter and that was the warmest thing I've ever slept under. In the dead of winter it's the only cover you need and even then it often got too warm.

The only advice I really have for you is to get a lower grade comforter for fall and spring when your current comforter is just too much. They sell these really great down throws at wal-mart now that may be just the thing you're looking for.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Cat Addict

That happened to me once last summer when I was very sick. It happened with any blanket that I used though.. If you've had it for five years and are just now having a problem try to figure out what's changed.

I bought, what I thought was a very nice down comforter from domestications.com for my girlfriend for Christmas. Now, little feathers are slowly coming out and they really stab you! Any ideas? We've thought about a duvet cover, or a some other kind of cover but we really like the look and feel of the comforter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Cat Addict

I don't think a duvet will solve your problem. Plus they're really expensive! Usually the duvet is just a plain cover and those feathers will come right through it. They do hurt!

Justin bought mine from Kaufmann's as a gift. It seems to be a fairly good quality one. Not great quality, but it'll do. The feathers all tend to head down towards my feet. I have to fluff it up every week or so to get them to move back towards our heads.

I take it off during the late spring, summer, and early fall and just use a thin quilt. I tend to sleep cold, but Justin's a hot water bottle.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I know I've changed in 5 years. I used to sleep with sweat pants, T-shirt, sweatshirt, and multiple blankets. Can't handle that now. I prefer minimal clothing b/c the sheets feel good; I don't seem to get half as cold as I used to sleeping - I think I actually heat up!

And, IMO...

A baffle-box construction is an excellent feature to look for in a down comforter. The box style keeps the feathers from shifting completely to the bottom; they are trapped within their box.

That's what mine is, and I haven't had any problems with shifting.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 05:19 PM

i don't have a down comfortor, but i find when i get to hot if you stick a foot or two out from under the blankets it helps tremendusly. i'm also somebody who always has to have something covering me while i sleep.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Premier Cat

What is a down comfortor?
maybe a stupid question, but ive never heard that name before.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalensia
What is a down comfortor?
maybe a stupid question, but ive never heard that name before.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the same thing as a duvet, only it has a pretty pattern on it instead of being plain white and needing a duvet cover.

ps I have a duvet and they make them very resistant now so the feathers don't poke through at all

If you're sweating it may not be the comforter at all, it may be your choice of sleepwear, synthetic fabrics don't really allow our skin to breath, I have that problem with sweating when I wear my satin pjs sometimes, try something that's 100% cotton
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 05:37 PM

it's just a big blanket full of goose feathers.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

nope, cotton sports bra and undies i work out first thing in the morning so i start dressing appropriately before i go to bed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page