any yorkshire terrier owners here? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

any yorkshire terrier owners here?

we are considering getting one...but I want to do more research first and talk to more people who have them.

p.s. - the puppy would be coming to us from breeders that we know, not a pet shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Premier Cat

I want one, but i cant imagine my boyfriend being a builder, and so pretty muscular walking down the street with a yorkie on a lead..... It would be his idea of ****... id love one tho hehe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I wondered about the "girlie" factor, but my boyfriend's brother and his wife recently adopted one from their friends (the breeders).

It does seem a little silly for these boys, but both my bf and his brother think they're great. Of course, it could just be that it's a dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Cat Addict

I have to admit, I really like little lap dogs. And even though I'm quite secure with my manhood, I feel a little goofy walking my parents dog. (a little 6lb poodle-chiuaua mix.) I like the bigs too, because I like to run around and wrestle with them.

My friends have two yorkies and though they're a bit hyper, they're very very friendly dogs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 08:29 PM

Yorkie Owner Here

My little (3 pound) Prince Charming is 13 years old. I've had him since he was 6 weeks and this house will ALWAYS have a Yorkie around it.

PLEASE be aware that there is NO such thing as a "teacup", "toy" or "miniature" Yorkie and anyone selling a Yorkie as such should be avoided like the plague. They are not knowledgeble of the standard &/or are trying to take advantage of people that buy on impulse. Some sell them for as much as a $1000 when they convince people that they have a rare dog.

The Yorkie standard states that a Yorkie is 7 pounds and under. You can see the complete standard at www.akc.org

Yorkies think they are German Shepherds in puppy skin. Most love to be with humans most the day. Others can be very laid back and not have a problem with being alone as long as they have LOTS of family time when their humans invade THEIR home.

Prince Charming is a typical boy--neutered, of course. He was not bred well and does have some problems such as he cannot gain weight--his size should put him at 4 pounds and we have tried everything to get him to gain. He has food available 24/7. This is just a genetic thing and it occurs from time to time.

Yorkies should cost between $350 and $600 USD. This is the range I have had quoted to me from several breeders around the country.

The one thing I suggest is that a puppy not be left alone 8 hours. Some puppies forget to eat because of playing, in a strange home, missing litter mates & mommy, etc. This needs to be addressed immediately or the young puppy could die from hypoglycemia.

I suggest that if your boss will permit it (and can) the puppy go with you on day trips. This is usually permitted if you assure your boss there will be no interference with your work and that when the puppy has outgrown the forgetting, you will begin leaving the puppy at home.

Some Yorkie owners train their children to the potty pan--we use cat pans with torn up newspaper or the new compressed puppy litter. I find this system to be a great help when it is raining as Prince Charming is a desert rat--born & raised--but now lives in Louisiana. HATES the rain.

Yorkies can be difficult to housebreak. Some take as long as 18 months--this is one reason we like the puppy pans. Makes housebreaking easier. Also the puppy pads work well I've been told but have never personally used them.

For those that are looking into Yorkies if you have children consider their activity levels. Yorkies don't make good pets for families with children that are out of control. They are very small dogs and can be injured or killed if not watched carefully.

Perhaps you've heard of using a playpen for puppies. I STRONGLY suggest this. I went to a yard sale and bought a used one for $5 and Prince Charming spent his first few weeks in it until we all got used to the idea that he was there. (First time we had a small dog). He had lots of play time out of the playpen but he also had time in the play pen for safety.

The cats were in love with Prince Charming instantly. The ginger cat was in such love that when he came over & Prince Chraming chewed on him Sleepy Boy actually got mad at me when I took Prince Chaming away. Sleepy Boy swated me and went into the play pen with Prince Charming. It was Crazy. Sleepy Boy ate and slept with Prince Charming. When we lost Sleepy Boy, Prince Charming grieved for weeks. He quit eating for 3 days and would not play with any of the other cats. I thought I would lose him to but we finally were able to get him beyond the grief.

I suggest everyone get a tattoo as well as a chip for their baby. Chips can be removed but a tattoo is permanent. After the tattoo is done, be certain to register the tattoo and get pictures of the tattoo. ALL tattoos should be placed on the ABDOMEN only. The abdomen cannot be removed like ears and legs can be. Also have the person that does the tattoo place at least one letter/number where it can be seen without shaving the abdomen.

One place to register the tattoo after being placed on the puppy is the natldogregistry.com

Any specific questions will be answered to the best of Prince Charming's knowledge (my experience with these babies). Cynthia
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Cynthia -
That is some excellent information - thank you!

We would be getting the Yorkie from friends of ours who are breeders. They normally sell their puppies for $600 each, but we would be receiving one for free (just paying for the shots that the puppy has had). We are waiting to hear if there is still one available.

We do not have any children and do not plan on any in the near future, so that is not a concern for us. My kitty is, though, be she seems to like small dogs a lot better than other cats/kittens.

The potty pan sounds like an interesting idea. We will have to read up on that some. From what I've read so far, Yorkies go one way or the other when it comes to house-breaking - either they are really easy or extremely difficult, no real middle ground.

Thanks again for the info...I'll probably be back with more questions!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismodliz
Cynthia -

...The potty pan sounds like an interesting idea. We will have to read up on that some. From what I've read so far, Yorkies go one way or the other when it comes to house-breaking - either they are really easy or extremely difficult, no real middle ground.
I don't know of much information that has been published on the potty pans. The first place I saw them was DRS. FOSTER & SMITH. However, it was a bit pricey. Then I found it in Petco and was told that Petsmart also are now carrying them. I suggest buying a cat pan -- couple of dollars at the Family Dollar Store and just buy the bags of litter. One person said they used the puppy pads first and then slowly converted to the puppy litter. I LOVE this system. Helps when I can't get him outside immediately as he will just run to his new pan. It didn't take long to train him as he knows his command words already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismodliz
Thanks again for the info...I'll probably be back with more questions!
Questions are always welcome. I enjoy discussing ALL my babies. Cynthia
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Cat Addict

My girlfriend has one (female). She is amazing! And my gf takes her everywhere - even to her work. Wherever she goes, Ally goes with her. It's lovely dog and I was actually thinking of getting one. I have really tight schedule so I decide to get kitten(s) instead.

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page