Vacuum cleaner recommendations - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Vacuum cleaner recommendations

Does anyone absolutely love their vacuum cleaner?

I am looking to purchase a new one. The one we have now is so old and clunky.

We have minimal carpeting in our home right now (just the bedrooms), but I really need something that will vacuum the couch really really really well. You know how pet hair can be...

Right now, I have to lug the heavy sweeper onto the couch, and it doesn't really work all that well.

Also, anyone have any luck on hardwood/linoleum floors with the swiffer-style brooms? I'm curious as to how well they pick up cat hair on a daily basis?

I figure there's no place better to ask than here!

p.s. -- Affordability is a very big factor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:36 AM

I am looking for the same--a vac made for hardwood but with good attachments! Some of the smaller canisters on Amazon.com have really great reviews and are under $100. One of my coworkers loves the vacuum she bought at KMart, but she always forgets to check the brand and model for me. I would try your local KMart/Target and look for a canister with a dust cup not a bag and an attachment specially designed for hard floors, with no spinning brush.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Cat Addict

I'm not sure if I'll be a big help, but I can tell you to stay away from bagless vacuums. Perhaps the high end models are okay, but if you're looking for affordability stay away from them.

I've had great luck with my Kenmore upright. The attachments make cleaning my furniture a breeze. (I bought it two years ago on sale for $99) I used to work for Sears and can honestly tell you that Kenmore's are easier to repair and find parts than any other model.

My place is 90% carpet, 10% linoleum so a plain broom and a swiffer wetjet does the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

How is it with cleaning up cat hair off of furniture? I've never had much luck with the attachments in doing so, but I'm willing to pick the thing up and vacuum the couch itself - I would obviously just need something lightweight, then.

Effectiveness with cat hair and affordability are my main concerns...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:48 PM

i got a Hoover one from best buy. it's AWESOME!! and the swiffer brooms are also good.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Cat Addict

I have no problems cleaning the furniture. The little brush attachment thingie does great on the surface and that long narrow one takes care of corners and what-not.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Cool Cat

I have a Bissell bagless and I like it! I use the attachment only occassionly but it seems to work well and it works GREAT on the carpet for picking up cat hair. I am always amazed at how much I vacuum up.
I'm not sure how much it was, my parents bought during one of those special Walmart day after Thanksgiving sales, but I do know that it was under $100.
I really like not having to deal with bags, I just dump the canister and clean out the filter each time I use it.

EDIT: You might try www.epinions.com to read some reviews of different vacuums.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I have an Oreck XL. It weighs 8 pounds, is stronger than any vacuum cleaner I've ever had, and is rather expensive. I'm glad I got it, though! It is amazingly good. (The company gives you a small portable vac for the furniture, which has attachments.) The regular vacuum cleaner can go straight from carpet to wood or linoleum floors.

As lightweight as it is, it does a better job than my old vacuum, which was self propelled and heavy.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 12:48 AM
Cat Addict

The thing to keep in mind about selecting a vacuum cleaner is that the bottom line is they all suck.

It's the ones that don't you want to avoid.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 02:37 AM

i just bought a hand held vacuum and i am in lust with it. it's the Euro-Pro Shark, 800 Watts. it comes with a pet hair removal thing, basically one of those red fuzzt lint brushes, but attached to a vacuum. it really worked. awesomely. of course, our couch is a futon and just has a cotton cover thingie on it, but i also vacuumed my coat, a wool navy pea coat. i think it rocks. and it's cheap. and bagless, so its slightly more environmentally friendly.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/60 ... B000096JFW

and since you mentioned swiffer, i would like to take this opportunity to rant about the "age of convience." all of these one time use, throw me away paper products are so completely bad for the environment. before you go buying them think about how many trees and other natural resources were needed to make them, the pollution cost of manufacturing and distributing them, and the clogging of the landfills when you throw them away. is it that much harder to use a broom? a broom is way cheaper, and it'll last a lot longer. ok, rant done. thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page