US to reinstate "the draft"? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

US to reinstate "the draft"?

this is kinda freaking me out. if you are or know someone between the ages of 18 and 26, you should be interested in this.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... le5146.htm

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their cur-rent semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

the article can be found here: http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/news ... 105146.php

scary! i don't agree with the "war on terrorism" on many levels, and now they want be able to draft me to fight in it.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Cat Addict

My thoughts on the topic:

This is why it's so important for everyone, young and old, regardless of party affiliation or lack thereof, to vote.

It's not hard, it takes just a couple minutes. Go vote.

If you don't like what your congressmen and/or senators are doing, write to them and say so.

Your government officials work for you. Tell them what you want. If they don't give you want you want, vote them out of office.

You have reason to be scared, Marion. I always thought it would cost too much money to restart the draft, to restart all the training centers. I don't want to see the draft reinstated. I'll write letters to make sure my opinion is heard and if it is ignored, I will vote against those people to get them out of office. This is my plan because this is how democracy works.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Should we fight terrorism? Absolutely. But we can't do it by drafting and risking the lives of our young people. We can't do that because there is not a country behind these attacks; there are people scattered all over the world, establishing themselves and then blowing up buildings and school buses. No single country is doing this. These are rebels from their own faith!

I don't want to go into detail, but in my opinion, the war in Iraq was built on mistaken beliefs and supported by evading the truth. We have never been a cowardly nation, but tell us who the enemy is, and tell us where they are before asking our young people to risk their lives, Mr. President! Then, PROVE IT! I hope I'm not alone on this any more.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Cat Addict

It would be an honor to serve my country.

Regardless of my opinions on a draft, I feel that there's nothing more noble than fighting for our freedom.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:59 PM

oh great. they're gonna draft me to fight a war i marched against? well, i'll show them! i'm gonna get on some anti-depressants and develop a bad drug habit!

seriously though, thats really really bad. my brother turns 26 on friday, is he safe then or still eligable?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Rob, it's very honorable and brave for any young person to fight for his country! We are not a cowardly nation. Our young people are brave, and I'm sure if we can FIND out who the terrorists are, we will not need a draft, because our young people will enlist! I have always been an idealist. As a teen, I walked out of the restaurant when the National Anthem was played, because I knew I would be ridiculed if anyone saw me. I still love my country as much as I always have, but we are capable of making errors in judgment. Good intentions won't erase what has happened.

There is evil all over the world, and Saddam was certainly evil, but our credibility is shot! Ted Kennedy (I know he's a liberal; so am I, about this subject, not all) said when his brother John went to DeGaulle and said, Mr. President, there are armed missiles within 90 miles of our borders. I have pictures here and other proof for you, DeGaulle said, "The word of the United States is enough for me." Our word is our honor.

If we have made errors, let's admit it, continue to ask the UN to help establish a democratic government in Iraq, and restore the respect other countries used to have for our word. Other than that, we would have to launch so many military attacks on every country in which tyranny exixts that we would lack the numbers. Yes, we are our brothers' keepers, but that would be an impossibility. It would take all the armies of all the free countries in the world to do that. I am a pacifist in my belief system, but on this issue, I'm trying to be practical. I admire Don Quixote for his bravery, but we can't fight windmills. We can't find the enemy by drafting the young people.

As for the terrorists? Of course we should fight them, but where are they? We were attacked. That's not speculation; that's fact. But it will take Intelligence to find them and bring them to justice.

By the way, my father spent 15 years in the British Navy and five years in the Canadian Army, and my brother was in the last war. They were brave and honorable people, but my father always said that "My country, right or wrong, my country" was what enables the Hitlers of this world. He believed in the whole quotation:

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right."

---Carl Schurz

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Should we fight terrorism? Absolutely. But we can't do it by drafting and risking the lives of our young people. We can't do that because there is not a country behind these attacks; there are people scattered all over the world, establishing themselves and then blowing up buildings and school buses. No single country is doing this. These are rebels from their own faith!

I don't want to go into detail, but in my opinion, the war in Iraq was built on mistaken beliefs and supported by evading the truth. We have never been a cowardly nation, but tell us who the enemy is, and tell us where they are before asking our young people to risk their lives, Mr. President! Then, PROVE IT! I hope I'm not alone on this any more.
my thoughts exactly! i don't think they have any business forcing people to fight, let alone force people to fight who are still in high school or college! they have no business sending kids to their possible deaths.

if they really need more people to join the militia, they could have just as easily put that $28 million dollars toward a benefits program to urge people to join voluntarily. forcing people to fight is not the answer.

vietnam is proof, a scared 18 year old kid with a machine gun in a strange land with minimal training isn't going to make the most of being a soldier. horrible things will happen to him, and his family isn't likely to see him again. if the draft is reinstated, we are going to see the vietnam war horrors all over again. sons and daughters sent overseas by the thousands to fight for a questionable cause. over 58,000 dead americans, average age: 22. over 11,000 of them were under age 20. 1/3 of all the vietnam war soldiers were drafted. about 9,000 vietnam veterans committed suicide after serving.

serving your country is indeed an honor. but there's nothing honorable about sentencing your nation's children to death, torture, shell shock, and all the other bad stuff that comes along with it. its not something anyone, especially kids, should be forced to do just because our warmonger of a president thinks he knows something.

voting bush out of office is step 1. voting more rational people into office is step 2
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Cool Cat

I'm surprised I haven't heard about this yet...I'll have to look into it.
The thought of a draft scares the crap out of me since my fiance is 22 and graduating from college this spring. What's stupid is that he could serve his country much better staying in the US. With his electrical engineering degree, he could work for Lockhead Martin and design planes or any number of other things that could be useful to the government. Do they take any consideration of that?

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:36 PM

I'm still 17, but I'll turn 18 in time for the next voting period. I'm really NOT going to vote, mainly because I've never heard anything about it(i stay away from political stuff). But I know I'd vote for ANYONE except Bush!

I plan on voting in the next 4 years for the next President tho By then, I'll have learned enough with state and city things, right??
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie

Jeanie, I couldn't have said this better myself. I will go so far as to say that Bush started this war to finish what his father couldn't.
I am a patriotic person and fully support the troops. I come from a military family, my father, father-in-law and brother are all veterans. My brother was in Iraq for the first Gulf war. But I can't blindly support a war that was started for the wrong reasons.
Thanks for the info, Marijun. Scary stuff for the young people of our country.
And did I mention I will not be voting for Bush? Not that I did the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page