File sharing...... record companies liers? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

File sharing...... record companies liers?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Cat Addict

The Inquirer is different than The Enquirer isn't it?

I don't know what to think about the article, but the fact remains that downloading music for free is theft. I don't do it. That said, record companies charge far too much for CDs. I bought a new CD with 12 songs on it that cost over $18. After taxes, that came out to over $20 for 12 songs. That price makes downloading free music tempting to even me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Cat Addict

I very rarely buy CD's, for two reasons really.

#1) I'm still an undergrad, I've given up a few of my "luxury expenses" and CD's just didn't make the cut.
#2) You hardly get what you pay for anyway.

Downloading digital music from KaZaa, or <insert p2p program here> is stealing if the artist and/or record company doesn't want their work distributed that way.

I pay for a premium account from Napster, it's $10 a month. If you listen to somewhat popular music you should be able to find a lot of what you like on it. If you pay the ten dollar fee, about 90% of the songs are "free" to listen to and download on your computer.

A few songs are "buy only" in that you have to pay 99 cents to listen to the song, but in that case you "own" it and can burn it to CD as you wish. The songs that you download under the $9.99 umbrella are free to listen to on your PC but you need to pay the 99 cents to burn it to CD.

You can also purchase and download entire albums for $9.99. If you burn it yourself, what's the cost? $11 including CD and jewel case? Not too shabby if you ask me.

You can download a 7 day trial at www.napster.com. At least watch the entertaining commercials on the site. (be sure to watch the first three in order.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Cat Addict

I do dowload songs. And not only songs but movies too (Friends mostly).

I use WinMx, I like it more than Kaaza.

I don't think I'm a thief because I dowload a song once in a while. CD's are too way expensive. Also, I have so many CDs at home and they take so much space! I prefer having MP3s.

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Cat Addict

I used to use Napster before...when it was free. I don't use them anymore.

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:54 PM

i rarely buy cds. and when i do, i go to the band's show and buy the cd directly from them. or i buy them from an indie record store. i know most of my favorite bands personally, so i usually get a free copy or two before the albums are even released

i download tons of music off winmx and soulseek. TONS. why? because i'm not going to spend $10-$20 on a cd that could potentially be garbage. indie bands don't get much radio play, if any. the only means i have to hear it first is to download it. i've discovered numerous great bands this way, and numerous flops as well. more flops though, by far. i'd be out of a lot of money and quite irritated if i bought all those flops. i'd say that about 75% of my downloads were a total waste.

plain and simple - if you like it, buy it. but there's no harm in downloading it first to find out if its worth yr beans.

indie bands are thriving right now, and many of them attribute it to file sharing. its free advertising for them. mainstream record labels' sales are steadily declining, while indie record labels' sales are soaring through the roof!

i think that's just one more reason the mainstream labels are throwing such a fit. indie is a much more admirable way to go, and people are starting to realize it. most of the money goes right to the band members, that's surely something the mainstream labels can't say. indie labels don't pay clearchannel to constantly play their artists' songs either. indie = no bull. not to mention indie cds don't cost nearly as much as the mainstream's. if the mainstream keeps its monopoly in place, the music business will just be a joke. heck, to me, it already is

go indie!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page