What is a Troll??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

What is a Troll???

I am internet challenged, and after coming across the posts made by a troll, I am curious what it means?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 10:29 AM

A troll is basically a person who puts messages in a forum just to annoy or agravate others. Trolls just do it for the kicks of getting people angry, so you should never respond back to something they say, it will just make them happy. If you ignore them, they go away because they see that they will not get any fun from you. Just PM a moderator and they will get rid of the offensive post as soon as they can.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

so was that boyfreind guy a troll to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Cat Addict

I think the term "troll" comes from "trawl." As in a trawler. A trawler is a fishing boat that leaves its nets in the water and sails along "trawling" for fish. Then it pulls them all up at once.

A troll works the same way. It drops it's little net (usually a post designed to make people angry, but sometimes they'll make up stories to make you feel sorry for them) and waits for someone to bite. Like Queen of the Nile said, it's usually best to just ignore them.

As for theboyfriend, I don't think he started out as a troll, but he became one pretty fast.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 11:11 PM

Troller:

Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.

Thats 13 years of internet experience speaking. And no, i didnt make this picture or come up with the description.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Sam

Trolls!

Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Cat Addict

The main thing that can really wreak havoc, is some trolls are far more internet savvy than most administrators. I've seen a small 'army' launch an attack and literally shut down an entire site. The trolling skills I've see on CF are amatures at best, what I would call 'soft trolling'.

The fact that we are all cat people, and sensitive by nature, could make this site more vulnerable as membership grows. Just remember it's only the internet, don't take anything too seriously.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip
The main thing that can really wreak havoc, is some trolls are far more internet savvy than most administrators. I've seen a small 'army' launch an attack and literally shut down an entire site. The trolling skills I've see on CF are amatures at best, what I would call 'soft trolling'.

The fact that we are all cat people, and sensitive by nature, could make this site more vulnerable as membership grows. Just remember it's only the internet, don't take anything too seriously.
No no no.. Trollers dont do that.

That was a rebel leader and rebels without a clue:

Rebel Leader has an uncanny ability to upset the settled order of a discussion forum. Other Warriors may be excellent in mano a mano combat, but Rebel Leader's charisma, political instincts and verbal skills enable him to rally a collective assult that can overthrow the Royals and even silence Cyber Sisters. Depending on the issue Rebel Leader uses to advance his attack he may draw allies from almost any of the other Warrior classes, but he can usually count on Loopy in the early stages of the conflict and Sycophant once the revolution is well underway. Once the revolution has succeeded, however, Rebel Leader quickly loses interest in the cause. As is the case with false King-Fu Masters, the bones of soi-disant Rebel Leaders litter the battlefields.

Rebel Without a Clue's deep seated and infantile hostility to authority motivates his random and seemingly gratuitous attacks on list owners, SysOps and anyone else who attempts to maintain a modicum of order and civility in discussion forums. Differing markedly from Rebel Leader, he is unattached to any cause other than petulance for its own sake, and will therefore seldom inspire general insurrection. In his frequent and ineffectual attacks on the established order he will often cite the Bible, or the US Constitution to support incoherent arguments. Rebel Without a Clue NEVER reads forum FAQs, and loudly decries as fascism any enforcement whatsoever of forum rules.

I myself have seen forums taken down by these and other flame warriors.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 02:18 AM
Cat Addict

ha ha, thats pretty funny, and true! Hey, ya learn something every day.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Cat Addict

RayofAsh, those pics and descriptions are priceless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page