Paging Bean......... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Paging Bean.........

My latest AutoWeek magazine has an article about modified cars and "Insurer's" not insuring them. So far this has only been in Canada. But the article mentions a 47 yr old man (spotless driving record, no accidents EVER ) who commuted in a Pontiac Sunfire. Everything was alright until his insurance company, STATE FARM, dropped his coverage when they learned that he lowered the car and applied graphics to the sides. Now this guy hardly fits the profile of a Fast and Furious type, which STATE FARM seems to want to stereotype him as. Worse off, the article states that the insurance companies may just well put an end to the Sport Compact craze by refusing to insure modified vehicles. Even the Police have been unable to stop the Sport Compact craze.

Now, I live in the states, but I don't like what I am reading one bit. I already have NOTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT INSURANCE COMPANIES, and their unregulated practices. But this is going too far. I can see their side of things, having to put out (*potentially*) more money on testosterone laden lads, and their equally agressive female counterparts, and their aggressive driving habbits. But a few bad apples should not spoil it for the rest of us. Its not like STATE FARM already gets enough out of me.

Since you mod (tastefully) what is your take on this? Basically STATE FARM would not re-instate the 47 yr old guys insurance until THEIR ADJUSTER verified that the car was returned to stock. And that if you refuse to inform your insurance company of mods to your car, and you are in an accident, they can deny payment of any claims if they determine your car was modded. ***?? Who are they to do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 02:15 PM

Just a question since you read the article...

How serious of mods are we talking about that you have to notify them? My s/o is getting new tires 2 sizes larger put on his truck today and is insured by State Farm. Do we have to tell them about the tires?

He's not raising it or anything.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I would read the fine print of your policy with them. I personally don't see how they could deny such a claim, but you never know. FWIW my truck is raised and has oversize tires AND State Farm doesn't know about it.

I will check and see if that article is on the Autoweek website, and if so post a link to it.

Bryon

Here is the link to the article.

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port ... e=02910534
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Premier Cat

Omg that is crazy. Alot of people I know modified their cars...how could they do that...????

Anyways I can see how Insurance Companies want to do that but that is just out of hand for real. I understand if it was totally tricked out but anyways, thank goodness I'm not in Canada right now.

I am planning on dropping my car, my bf already dropped his and thank goodness we still have good coverage.

But here is what I think of that Canadian State Farm
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Cool Cat

Hello - sorry for the late response.

Due in part to the insurance hikes and also in part to people's reaction to it, insurance companies are getting harder and harder to deal with! I don't really know what you can do...

Recently, I accidentally failed to renew my insurance (I misread the cancellation date of 10/7/03 - or something like that - as October 7th when it was July 10th). So I decided to take that time to look around at other companies to get better rates.

I am 24, drive a 4 cylinder 1995 Hyundai Sonata (dark green 4 door automatic). I have had no accidents, and one speeding ticket. I currently pay $2300 a year to insure my car, without collision and $500 comprehesive. Last year when I had collision and $250 comprehensive, it was about $3200 a year.

However, when I was calling around, I was either told it would cost over $4000 a year starting off in a new company with no history with them. But most offen I was told that I was in a HIGH RISK GROUP and they would just plain not insure me. In the end I got lucky to be insured with subsidiary of the company with which I was insured before. A company with which if I don't pay in a lump some there's a $15 a month service charge (to pay monthly). Sadly there's not much you can do. No insurance is illegal.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Cool Cat

Oh - and my insurance company doesn't know I lowered my car, or that I have aftermarket rims.

I'm definetly not a "ricer" - I just want my car to look nice. As in no hubcaps or 4x4 wheel gap. I don't plan on doing anything else to my car - I know it's not a sports car. But I guess that doesn't matter to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page