Need advice! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Need advice!

Ok everyone. What would you do?

We rent an apartment in a house. It is a big old farm house (with houses built around it) with 3 apartments in it. The house next door is also rented out by the same land lady as ours. These new people have moved in now, and they BLAST music almost every night until 2 or 3am. Our bedroom windows face their living room...so it's really loud. I was up until 5am last night, and I even had to go sleep on the couch. If it was just weekends I wouldn't care, but last night was Monday night. I have to get up early to get to my summer job which is REALLY strenuous (I cut lawns for elderly people....but I do maybe 8 entire properties every day!) and I need my sleep and energy.

What should we do about this? I thought of calling the police and lodging a noise complaint, or else writing them a note and putting it in their mailbox. My boyfriend and I really aren't uptight, we are 23 and 25 years old, we like to party too.....but we both work and need to sleep during the week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:41 PM

i would explain to them in person or a note and be nice and all, but if it keeps up, call the cops.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Premier Cat

In the UK it illegal to have music over a certain noise level, and after 11pm you can call the police if it is causing a disturbance. If they persist they can be prosicuted for breach of the peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Cat Addict

I think it's a good idea to give them a note and talk to them. They should understand you. If not, I would talk to their landlord? And then, if landlord doesn't do anything, I would call the cops. Good luck!

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 02:07 PM

It's always best to try and talk to them first. If you go to the landlord or police first, they might not turn out to be very friendly neighbors.

Usually these things can be worked out. Maybe you can work out a time by which both you and they agree to keep the noise down.

I've lived in many different apartments and such and only once were we not able to solve the problem. Those guys were from India, though, and they wouldn't even listen to me. I think it was a culture-based thing because I'm female because if my sister's boyfriend went upstairs to say something, they were a**-kissers.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Cat Addict

Yep, the best way to talk to them when you notice they're out and about on an afternoon. (Not while they're being loud. And be sure to talk to them directly, notes and stuff aren't the proper way to start things off in my opinion.) Introduce yourself, be polite, let them know your work situation and that you party too so they understand you're not just being cranky.

Chances are things will work out, because nobody wants bad relations with their neighbors.

My current apartment is the first apartment I've been in that's off the first floor, so after a few weeks of being here my neighbors paid me a visit. I tried to be real considerate about music and what-not, but I was more worried about the people next to me, not the people below me. Apparently the sub woofer on my computer speaker was was getting to them. I had no idea... the guy introduced himself nicely on an afternoon and told us that his girlfriend was a teacher and had to be up early, yada yada. We're not best buddies or anything, but as neighbors we get along well... mainly because he set the tone for friendliness from the beginning.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Rob, I'm glad you were able to settle things amicably. A personal visit is best. If they're into heavy metal, they really think it has to be played at that volume to be enjoyed, and there might be some resistance. I hope not, Maleke. You need your sleep.
\
I'm glad I'm in a separate home, because I like to blast classical music when I'm alone! My son used to blast AC/DC so loudly when he was lifting that I couldn't hear the tv right in front of me. A practical joke on my part helped ease the tension. I put a radio in front of every register (until I ran out) as loud as each one could play--tuned to the classical music station, and yelled down the steps that I was going out.

When I got home, he laughed and said, "Good one! I went upstairs and turned off the stereo. And that didn't work, so I had to go through the whole house, hunting radios. I thought I'd never find the last one! "

I'd like to say that helped, but I had to keep pounding the floor with my foot. Ah, the joys of motherhood!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Tom Cat

Don't you just hate having to be "the bad guy"? Every situation like this that I find myself in makes my stomach ache. I REALLY hate these kind of things. When I lived in an apartment the woman upstairs was totally psycho.........complaining about trivial stuff ALL THE TIME. The floors were paper thin. We were ground floor and she was directly above, and she would go into the kitchen and tap her heel on the tiled floor. Of course we heard it all through our place.

My girlfriend would take the day off to study and say that the lady upstairs (get this, her name was Michel, pronounced like Michael..............what is up with that????) would blast Carly Simon all day long. Needless to say Kathy didn't get much studying done, but she didn't ask her to turn it down either. She didn't like confrontations either. Carly Simon!! Argghhhh, I think I would have shot her for that had I been there.

It's not the most pleasant thing to do, that is for sure, but keep a good attitude. Talk to them first. Go to the landlord 2nd. Cops 3rd.

The resolution to our problem was that Michel got evicted. But shortly after that we bought our house. It was time to get out of apt living.

You're so vain..........great now that is stuck in my head.

Good luck Maleke, let us know how you make out.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:53 PM

Ugh, this is such a tough situation! I really hope they respond to you and you can work everything out. My upstairs neighbor stomps around at all hours with shoes on, and refuses to answer the door when I knock. I wrote a letter this morning after she was running around from 2:30-4:30 AM and again from 5:30 on. Better luck to you Maleke.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
"you pro-bly think this song is about you...you're so va---in" Oh, no! Now you've done it! I don't think there's any rule about that, either!!!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page