Our new allotment - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Our new allotment

Partner and I have just got an allotment!
Do you guys from other places know about allotments, or is it just a British thing?
Over here, you can rent a little patch of land from the local authority, and you can grow your own vegtables on it. Your allotment will be on a big site with lots of others, so you can meet other gardners and swap advice (and vegetables). The rent is *really* cheap
Its great for us, because we don't have a garden of our own. Partner has been doing all the hard work so far. He's planted potatoes, radishes and parsnips. This weekend he's going to plant leeks. I'm going to go and supervise
I haven't seen it yet, so I'm really looking forward to it.

seashell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 06:15 AM

That's a really cool idea. I'm not sure we have anything like that over here, at least not around where I'm from.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Senior Cat

I think they provide some small plots for some of the students, here at Purdue. I recall reading something in the paper about it. That is the only downside to living in a condo - no garden. I miss all the fresh produce. Then again, what am I thinkin'?? I do NOT miss the garden maintenance.

Peace,
Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ForJazz did it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Premier Cat

That sounds neat. My parents are building a mini garden in their backyard and I love the hot peppers my mom grows they are really HOT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 09:10 AM

You are fortunate to be able and plant your own; home grown vegetables taste so good *yum*.
It is good news - now we are just waiting for some salads...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Our new allotment

Hmm, Mike, - garden maintenance
I hope we won't neglect in when the novelty wears off! But then again, Partner is doing all the work so far anyway. Ha ha!
Monday is a public holiday here, so I probably won't post again till Tuesday. I'll let you all know how we got on with it.

seashell
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I have seen programs on tv about spare lots in big cities becoming a community garden. I think it's a wonderful idea! Gardening is the best part of summer. I used to have gardens of hybrid teas, perennial beds, annual beds, morning glories climbing up the porch, and a nice sized vegetable garden. I was outside from morning 'til night, except for meals, most days. I was thrilled when people slowed down to look at my efforts!

I feel so sorry for people who don't have a garden. It is the most amazing place. You can go outside feeling depressed and unloved, and watch the birds, look at the flowers long enough to really appreciate their beauty, and all of that beauty somehow erases the darkness from your life. You go back into the house with a warm glow in your heart. :)

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 12:33 AM

I planted all my garden seeds today, I hope it isnt to early yet. We have tomatoes and corn, beans, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, and lettuce...mmmm. This is our first garden so we have alot to learn, and alot of work ahead of us Im sure.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 04:47 AM
Cat Addict

man I wish we had something like that here. My old landlord used to let us have a garden, man I loved it. He sold the building in 2001 and our new owner made us fill it in

Now I just grow peppers in a few whiskey barrels hidden behind the business next door, with the owners permission of course! Ain't nothing in the world as rewarding a growing your own vegatables, at least to me, anyways.

I usually plant lots of Jalapeno, Cayenne, Tabasco chilies and usually some sweet bell peppers and a few tomatoes. I grew some Broccoli a few years ago that was just awesome!

-steve

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Our new allotment

Well, I saw the allotment at the weekend
There's quite a lot of work to be done. Some of the other allotments on the site are really beautiful, but ours is in a corner with some other really tatty ones, all grown over with weeds. And there's a faint smell of rotting cabbagge
But, nothing daunted, we have cleared the weeds away from nearly all of ours now. We planted some garlic. Next week we are going to plant some leeks.
Although it doesn't look very beautiful (yet), the peace and quiet was lovely. And you could really hear the birds singing all afternoon. That was so calming

seashell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page