I'd Really Like to Know.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'd Really Like to Know....

I want to know why women can successfully hide their ages all their adult lives, but if they're involved in an accident, the paper always reads, "Jane Doe, 43, was involved in a hit and run accident......" What does poor Jane's age have to do with anything??? It's bad enough she got hit by another car!

I really want to know why approximately 90% of the earth's rivers flow south? Remember when you were a child and thought that south was down and north was up? Maybe we weren't so wrong after all! (The Nile flow north, of course, and so does one of the rivers near Pittsburgh!--unusual, though.)

I really want to know! What do you want to know? Maybe we can answer each other's questions.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Cat Addict

maybe I can help with the river one. There is a line running though ohio, and other states i'm sure, but it's where the glaciers stopped during the ice age before they began to receed. All of the rivers south of this line flow south. All of the rivers north of it flow north. The Cuyahoga flows 3 directions, south, west, and ultimately north. Being located in the 3 rivers region ( I love Pittsburgh ), I think you are located very close to the line.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 02:10 AM

I didnt know about the river thing.

About the age thing, I want to know why they want to pretend they are younger! Are they trying to hide something? Do they not want to face the horrible truth that they are getting older?

Whats so important about being younger? Whether or not they say they are younger, they will still grow old and die!

"What does poor Jane's age have to do with anything??? It's bad enough she got hit by another car! "

Its punishment for pretending to be younger. I dont really care if somebody is 43 or 50 or 100, theyre still people to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Perhaps Jane was only 13, pretending to be 16. That happens a lot. A woman's age is her own business, as is someone's salary. Those are questions polite people just don't ask of other adults. When you grow up, you'll understand.

Catnip, yes one of our rivers flows north! However, the Mississipi-Missouri flows south, and yet it starts at a higher latitude. Is this a matter of magnetics or ???? I really have always wondered about this.

Jeanie

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Perhaps Jane was only 13, pretending to be 16. That happens a lot. A woman's age is her own business, as is someone's salary. Those are questions polite people just don't ask of other adults. When you grow up, you'll understand.
I understand just fine how some people can find it rude, i wouldnt go around asking random people theyre age in real life (i have social anxiety disorder anyways). But on the internet whats the first thing you say to somebody? A/S/L.

A persons sallary i dont think is that personal, and theyre age too. I think its immature for people to act older/younger.

Personal is something like your love-life or relatives and stuff like that. Age, gender, job, intrests, and others, are all things you talk about to better get to know the person.

I wouldnt like meeting something and then becomeing great friends to then later figure out he/she lied to me the second we met. I wouldnt trust the person that much anymore.

Your age, is everybodys buisness (especially the government and all government facilities), especially for younger people (21 and younger for example is the legal drinking age in the USA, and people usually lie about theyre age to get drunk, this is irrisponsable and wrong).

PS. Jeanie, there is a diffrence between an argument and a personal attack (logical fallacie). That was a personal attack. You can insult me, my family, my cats my dogs, anything but my mind. When you insult my mind thats when it gets personal. You dont know me. I have contimplated things you cannot even begin to fathom.

Description of Personal Attack (http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie ... ttack.html)

A personal attack is committed when a person substitutes abusive remarks for evidence when attacking another person's claim or claims. This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the attack is directed at the person making the claim and not the claim itself. The truth value of a claim is independent of the person making the claim. After all, no matter how repugnant an individual might be, he or she can still make true claims.

Not all ad Hominems are fallacious. In some cases, an individual's characteristics can have a bearing on the question of the veracity of her claims. For example, if someone is shown to be a pathological liar, then what he says can be considered to be unreliable. However, such attacks are weak, since even pathological liars might speak the truth on occasion.

In general, it is best to focus one's attention on the content of the claim and not on who made the claim. It is the content that determines the truth of the claim and not the characteristics of the person making the claim.

Examples of Personal Attack

In a school debate, Bill claims that the President's economic plan is unrealistic. His opponent, a professor, retorts by saying "the freshman has his facts wrong."

"This theory about a potential cure for cancer has been introduced by a doctor who is a known lesbian feminist. I don't see why we should extend an invitation for her to speak at the World Conference on Cancer."

"Bill says that we should give tax breaks to companies. But he is untrustworthy, so it must be wrong to do that."

"That claim cannot be true. Dave believes it, and we know how morally repulsive he is."

"Bill claims that Jane would be a good treasurer. However I find Bill's behavior offensive, so I'm not going to vote for Jill."

"Jane says that drug use is morally wrong, but she is just a goody-two shoes Christian, so we don't have to listen to her."

Bill: "I don't think it is a good idea to cut social programs."
Jill: "Why not?"
Bill: "Well, many people do not get a fair start in life and hence need some help. After all, some people have wealthy parents and have it fairly easy. Others are born into poverty and..."
Jill: "You just say that stuff because you have a soft heart and an equally soft head."
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Premier Cat

Well i dont know about you but i dont go up to people, intorduce myself and then ask how much they earn, there are people ive known for years and it would be incredibly rude to ask what they earn.

What always bugs me is in papers if a coloured person does something.
You dont see
"White man robbed pensoner" but "pensoiner robbed by man"
It its a coloured man you usually always see
"pensoner robbed by black man"
that really bugs me
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Cat Addict

Every person holds different things personal, Ray. While you may not find age and salary personal, many do.

Remember, this forum has a huge cross section of people. Try to understand that every person has a different background; it helps the communication process tremendously.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padunk
Every person holds different things personal, Ray. While you may not find age and salary personal, many do.

Remember, this forum has a huge cross section of people. Try to understand that every person has a different background; it helps the communication process tremendously.
I beleave i have already said i understand why people could find it rude. And i also said i dont go up to people and ask them such things, because that WOULD be rude. Im just talking about people you already know, not strangers on the street.

But everybody(yes EVERYBODY, i checked) I know, doesnt.

Another thing, not all people lie about their age, everybody i have ever met hasnt, and those who think people do are stereotyping.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 05:25 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
However, the Mississipi-Missouri flows south, and yet it starts at a higher latitude. Is this a matter of magnetics or ???? I really have always wondered about this.
yes, I am perplexed as well. Fact is water follows the path of least resistance, essentially always flows downhill. In terms of north and south, this is a 2 dimensional way of looking at it. Kinda up and down type thing, here in the problem arises, north is not always up, and south is not always down. Mother Earth, in all her glory, exists in a very 3++ dimensional way.

...and I have no idea what Ray is talking about...

-steve

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalensia
What always bugs me is in papers if a coloured person does something.
You dont see
"White man robbed pensoner" but "pensoiner robbed by man"
It its a coloured man you usually always see
"pensoner robbed by black man"
that really bugs me
There has been quite a bit of criticism of the news media for this very thing. The police departments are being criticized too. After 9/11, for example, if you looked as if you were from the Middle East, you were almost certain to get questioned if you were getting on an airplane. And if there is a criminal on the loose, as you suggested, his color is almost always mentioned.

This presents a problem. There is no room for prejudice (or there shouldn't be!) in a democracy that assures us that all men *are created equal. I believe that strongly. However, if you are hoping the public will recognize and report a criminal to the police, you really do need as accurate and detailed a description as possible. I think the media is a bit more sensitive to this issue now. If we are going to point out race, then we should also point out that the criminal is White, not only Black, Hispanic, Asian or Arab, but only in order to help the public identify the person.

*I still prefer to use the original quotation. It does not insult me when human beings are called mankind, either. I know that my gender does not make me an inferior human being. It's easier and correct , for example, to use only one pronoun when writing, either he or she. Either is correct, as long as the writer is consistent. He/she is incorrect and a waste of time.

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page