Anyone else hear this about Petco? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else hear this about Petco?

I normally avoid posting stuff like this. But my mother said she recently read an article about animal cruelty occuring at various Petco stores. Tried to find the article but found a few websites instead.

http://www.petcocruelty.com

This site lists incidents that have been reported since September 2003 in various states. Wondered if anyone else has heard about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 01:55 AM

Oh yeah! I've been hearing about this for some time now. I'm on several saltwater forums and they absolutely despise Petco. Ever see the fish department? Most of them are diseased, in VERY poor 'housing' conditions, or dead

Its not just Petco, most of the pet shops I've been to are pretty depressing...

http://www.petno.homestead.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:58 PM

Yes I have heard the same thing too.

But personally I have no problem with my local Petco. It is very clean and they dont cram all the fish/ birds/mice into one cage; also the animals look very healthy everytime I go.

However, if I ever saw those terrible conditions I would stop shopping at that particular store and report them. I would still go to other Petco's. For me Petco and PetSmart are the only places I can find certain things for the kitties. I don't like the fact that they are selling live animals but at least they are not selling cats and dogs. Just my opinion..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Tom Cat

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if all Petco stores are company owned? Or, are some of them individually owned and franchised?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Cat Addict

Without looking anything up, I would imagine company owned. The investment required by a franchisee to open a PetCo seems like it would be way too high.

Though, local managers have A LOT to do with those sorts of things. I imagine store management that has a geniune love for animals would probably run a pretty good store; while a money-driven, sales incentive based management team would do those sorts of inhumane things.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padunk
Though, local managers have A LOT to do with those sorts of things. I imagine store management that has a geniune love for animals would probably run a pretty good store; ...
Hit the nail right on the head there. I've been following these stories for a while now. Turns out the one being investigated in my area boiled down to crappy management. Very very sad.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 12:29 PM

Yup, I've been following this for years, and unfortunatly I still have yet to see a good petco, I've looked from Maine to Virginia. Specially the ones in Northern Virginia I am not very keen on. With a rescue group I worked with we had a problem with the young pups getting Parvo after being at a certain Petco down there.

But then again, I can't really think of a petstore that sells animals/fish that I have seen that conditions are actually REALLY good. Well except for one LFS up here... but anyway.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelZoo
But then again, I can't really think of a petstore that sells animals/fish that I have seen that conditions are actually REALLY good. Well except for one LFS up here... but anyway.

I agree!!! I can think of a couple in Indiana that have a well educated staff in each department and treat their animals as if they actually care about them. Thats pretty sad concidering how many are out there
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 04:29 PM

My Petco here in southern California is great, very clean and very helpful staff, but its just so sad that some other stores just neglect their animals . ill think twice about going to other petcos now!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
There is a wonderful aquarium in the Pittsburgh Metropolitan area, but I don't believe any pet store should sell animals such as dogs or cats. Even if the manager loves animals, there is not the time nor space to play with them or exercise them. They are extremely expensive, in comparison with private breeders, and often come from puppy and kitten mills. This is a pet peeve of mine. I have no ax to grind. I no longer breed either cats or dogs. Even the pets being offered by an animal rescue (at Petsmart) are treated properly ONLY if the manager decides to allow the employers the time to do it!

My husband paid almost double for our pet food at Petco this week. The best place to buy cat food, dog food, or bird seed is a feed store! And they put it in the trunk for you! I needed Nutri-cal and since he was already at Petco, he bought the dog food. AARGH!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page