Duvet Cover Progress - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Duvet Cover Progress

Well after many many many...many hours i've finished the top of the duvet cover. My resolve to sew all the pieces (duvet cover, dust ruffle, five pillows) has wavered a TON since i've got a major crick in my neck and i'm anxious to see everything done.

Borrowed a camera so I could take pics. This is a close up of the blue fabric i'm using. It's Dupioni Silk:

This is the piece before I sewed it all together:

The camera didn't really get the green color well, but it got the blue pretty good.

This is my design plan I created:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Wow. That's really beautiful. Nicely done!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Payge, the pictures are rather dark. I assume you're quilting it? The blue fabric in the first picture is absolutely beautiful. I'm sorry I can't see it in all of its glory!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I finished the duvet and one pillow case by hand, but today I broke down and went out and bought a sewing machine to do the rest of the pillowcases and the dust ruffle and curtains. After about an hour of frustration with the bobbun I finally got it working and wow its so nice! I do an hours worth of work in 30 seconds hah!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Premier Cat

Absolutely! Unless you are showing someone how things used to be done (like The Woodright's Shop on ed. tv), there is no virtue in working that much harder. And the sewing machine does a better, stronger job. It doesn't interfere with your creativity.

p.s. That's a really interesting show. I love to watch it!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I powered through til 4am last night and finished the dust ruffle. I'm working on the fancy pillow shams atm. Patrick bought me a brand new down comforter to go in the duvet as a gift for doing such a good job on it! It feels like heaven, we slept with the duvet for the first time last night. I'm in love with the sewing machine, its my new best friend. There were some quirks in the beginning I had to work out (like turning the thread holder the other direction so it doesn't keep catching on the little split and breaking the thread while i'm sewing)

The dust ruffle wouldn't have taken so long but I wanted a tailored look with those japanese style knots holding the pleats together and well...it was more messy than I thought. I told my mom about it and she said I had forgotten the KISS rule "Keep it simple stupid!" I thought straight lines and tailoring WAS keeping it simple but it turned out to be really hard. I've still got two pillow shams and a decorative pillow to make, then i'll borrow the camera again and post pics of my new bedding
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:44 AM
Cat Addict

Payge, that is AMAZING You are really talented
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Premier Cat

So far so good. It looks really good. Now about that dupioni silk, I'm wondering if that is the type of fabric I'm thinking about. Is it not totally silky, but a slight roughness to it?

If so, I've been looking for duvet covers without the comforter b/c I like the option of being able to take out the comforter to wash the duvet. I haven't found just a duvet cover like that.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Premier Cat

kitkat, you can find them on QVC. Unless they are going to be featured on live tv soon, I would go to qvc.com and check under duvets. Good luck!

Payge, this whole project is going to be a masterpiece!

Jeanie

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Senior Cat

Stunning!

~R

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page