Venting about Work - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
Venting about Work

Yeah, so I need to vent a bit.

So I work on Long Island for a computer company that makes Management software, including backup software and security.

When I joined the company in June 2003, there was already an atmosphere of tenseness and discomfort, as this is amidst the worst of the outsourcing phase, and everything seemed to be shifting to the big offices in Beijing and India. So that's kind of the start of it all.

Over the past year, we've been seeing more and more stuff going on with the managements, lots of shifting around, and all the decisions being made by people who have no idea how the changes impact people, and don't realize that maybe the management level that works directly with the main employees might know better what their employees are suited to do! But of course, everything comes from the top, and things become slower and more inefficient. It's so irritating!

So, my company has been dealing with a lawsuit for a few years now about some accounting mistakes back in 1999/2000. A bunch of people were fired, the CEO left, lots of company rearrangement, and tons of e-mails telling us to be strong and continue to drive to serve our customers well!

Well, yesterday, people started sending around a link to an article on newsday, discussing the lawsuit and the company's hopes to finally settle everything. That's good, right? Well, there is this tiny paragraph where it mentions something about the company "considering" reducing its workforce by 10%.

Heh... news to us! No press-release, nothing is told to us. I hate that we have to hear things like this from the newspaper. I'd like the company to be straight with us. When we are in the dark so much about the decisions that affect us, it makes us nothing but uncomfortable and discontented.

Now they called an "urgent" staff meeting for the entire brand unit that I am a part of (the storage people). So at 12:30 we all have to cram into conference rooms and dial into a conference call. Nobody's sure what it's definitely about; after all, we did just release a product, but everyone is a bit nervous and antsy about it, rightfully so.

Now, if I lost my job, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I don't have a morgage, I don't have a family here, and I don't exactly love my job. But then I'd have to figure out what I want to do with my life a bit sooner than I thought (I figured I'd start looking into other things next spring). Ahh, and I would miss having a gym to go to right at work... *sigh*

Oh well.. *sigh* stupid company... I just hate it when companies make you feel so insignificant and unimportant.

Thanks for listening/reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Cat Addict

That's just wrong.

I think that as employers, people take on a job themselves, a responsibility to treat their employees with respect and honesty. Too many employers don't, and they wonder why people go postal and why a huge majority of people are unhappy in their current jobs.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Senior Cat

Unfortunately, the employees are always the last to know. I work for a very big company, and we were recently bought out by a HUGE company... We all found out about it through CNN...

Since then, the company has tried to keep us in the loop. But they haven't been doing a very good job. Lately we hear rumors about something the day before we see it on CNN, rather than hearing it for the first time on CNN.... I don't think the marketing/press release people even tell the upper management when they are going to release info to the public.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page