guess what! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

guess what!

So I'm finally going to bite the bullet. I signed up for private adult swim lessons - (1) 30-min lesson a week for 10 weeks.

I've been really afraid of deep water after a couple of bad experiences as a child, but I'm tired of being left behind.

I start tomorrow night. I'm already biting my nails.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Yay! Good for you, I hope it all goes well
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Cat Addict

That's awesome. Congrats, =o). At least you're not learning how I learned how to swim....

I was 5 and my two older brothers (10 and 8 at the time) threw me into the 5ft deep part of the pool at the local high school (there was open swim during the summer) and told me to "Swim or drown." =o/ Thank God I'm a quick learner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Senior Cat

Good for you! It really is a brave and bold move you are making. Have fun with it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:35 PM
Cat

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Premier Cat

that is so great. Ive learned the fears we have arent as bad as we thought when we go out and face it and conquer it. Still doesnt make it any easier during the conquering though.. hehe..That is awesome what you are doing. Keep us posted
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My first lesson was last night. I was sooo nervous. I have a really great instructor, though.

We covered a lot in the 30 minutes I was there - back float, front float, back float with flutter kick, front crawl, treading patterns. I have it all down but the treading which is the part I really want to pick up. I think that if I can learn that then I won't be so freaked out by deep water b/c I'll know I can have control.

Going to go back and practice tonight before aquarobics. I want to get my front crawl smoother. I'm also looking forward to learning breathing techniques. Oh, and I learned how to return to a standing position without floundering around like a freak!

I feel better about learning, and I am looking forward to next week. My instructor said we will use a waist floating device (like they use for deep water jogging) to help me in the deep end while I learn to work my legs for treading.

Tina

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think you're really wise to take the lessons, Tina. Not only is it safer for you, but swimming is so much fun. I'm a fairly good swimmer, but I have some fear of deep water, so I just avoid it. I also had a bad experience when I was a child. Still, I have the ability to handle it if I have to, and that's a good thing! (as Martha S.) would say!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Premier Cat

I am soooo scared of water. If I'm in the water and it's over my neck I freak out, I need to learn to float upright at least. It seems so easy seeing everyone else do it but when I try, I splatter and would probably drown. It's inspiring to hear you taking lessons, hope it turns out well.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The lessons are going well. Tomorrow night is the final lesson in the first session; I signed up for 2 sessions.

I started out progressing rapidly, but I have slowed in the last two weeks. Treading water is difficult. I know that once I can do this, I will be set. I didn't realize how much energy it takes to swim, though. It really wears me out.

I've been going to deep water jogging classes at night (you wear a floating "belt") to help me burn calories and get more in shape for swimming.

Let's hope by the end of the next session (6 weeks away) that I can come to all of you and feel confident in my abilities!

Tina

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page