Question for Mac users/owners (More ?s) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Question for Mac users/owners (More ?s)

I am entertaining the idea of selling my Mac desktop and getting one of the new all-in-one iMac G5s.

Any idea what I might be able to get for it?

-----------------------------------------------
Specs:
400 MHz PowerPC 7400 (G4)
384 MB of RAM (I think)
10 GB Ultra ATA/33 hard drive
ATI Rage 128 AGP/2X video card with 16 MB of SDRAM
10/100Base-T Ethernet

Translucent graphite and white tower case with a fold down door on the side that makes upgrading very easy.

CD-R drive (internal)
Zip Drive (internal)

Apple Studio Display 17 in. CRT
- Graphite & White (matches CPU)

I would also probably throw in my new burner as I wouldn't need an external one anymore. It's a LaCie Firewire CDRW 52x/24x/52x.
-----------------------------------------------

Right now it's more of a dream to do this, but if I could get a decent price on it, I would really consider going through with it.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to CyberPet
Actually, the secondhand price on used Mac's are not very high. Even though you'll get more selling a few year old Mac than if you were to sell a PC at the same age. I'd guess you could get about $250 USD for it, at the maximum. But I'm not too familiar with the US market, so it could be less.

Take a look at eBay and see if they have any models that are about the same as yours and check what they are sold for in eBay. That should give you a good idea what you might get for yours.

I really enjoy the design of the new iMacs!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Would it be better just to add more hard drive space? Is there room in my unit to add another internal HD? Is this a tough process? The extent of my experience includes installing the internal Zip and adding memory sticks.

I'm just not sure whether I should expand upon what I have or if I should just upgrade now. (Considering the prices, I would probably have to drop to an eMac rather than get the new G5 iMac).

Any suggestions/advice would be great.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to CyberPet
Well, you have a machine that can be better with a few tweaks.

You could:

Install a second harddrive
Install more RAM
Install a processor upgrade
Install a faster graphics card

Usually when you get the stuff to install, it has some info on how to do it, but it's pretty straight forward and if you've already installed RAM and the Zip-drive it's pretty much the same when installing a second harddrive, just connect the things correctly.

When it comes to processor upgrades and graphics cards, it's a bit more tricky, but the stationary G4's that you have is so easy to work with. Only important thing is more or less to remember to ground yourself so you don't damage any of the sensitive circuts.

If you don't have room for a second harddrive, you can always transfer your old to a new one and install a 200 GB harddrive or something like that. That should keep you happy for a while.

Installing more RAM, even if you have a bit, is always great, especially if you want to run OS X on it. Aim for 512 MB or more.

The processor upgrade is the big thing... that will cost you a bit, depending on how far you want to go (I think a 1.5 GHz is around $500 USD). Some processor upgrades also allows you to upgrade your machine to a G5-processor, but having a G4 at 1 GHz would most likely make you very happy.

Not sure if that as much help, but calculate on how much it would cost to make your PowerMac more powerful compared to a new iMac. If the difference isn't too big, then buy a new one and don't care of the money you get for the PowerMac, that you can use to pay for more RAM in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page