Growing Catnip ... Questions. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Growing Catnip ... Questions.

I decided one day to buy catnip seeds on ebay and grow fresh catnip for my (six) cats (actually two cats and four kittens). Anyway, right now a small 4"x4" ceramic pot is sitting on my computer desk under lights, and several of the seeds have sprouted! There are about 15 sprouts, all around 2" tall.

I have some questions.

Do any of you grow catnip? Or have any experience growing catnip?

From what I understand, these plants get BIG. And I'm supposed to thin then to about 15" apart (looks like I'm gonna have to get some BIG pots to put them in).

How long is it going to take for them to grow, say ... about a foot high?

Will they do okay in window sill planters? Because I see no other way of keeping the catnip "cat-proof" until the plant is big enough and established enough to handle six cats mauling it.

As you can probably tell, I'm somewhat impatient. And excited. Normally I have an extremely black thumb with plants. Lucky for me, catnip is considered easy to grow!

I also have a small 4"x4" ceramic pot of cat grass growing. The ebay seller I bought the catnip seeds from sent me free cat grass seeds. Grass grows quick!

Okay enough from me now.

Please help me as best you can with answering my questions.

Thank you!

Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to 22Raiynee22 Send a message via Yahoo to 22Raiynee22

I don't grow catnip persay but we have it outside all the time(live in the country) and i'll go out and cut huge amounts of it, and then about 2 weeks later it's growing back. I try to cut it when it's smaller like 2 feet high at the most. my kitty doesn't seem to like it if it's any older then that

Good luck with growing it!

Rachelle Aka Raiyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabulously made by ForJazz!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Two feet HIGH?! Just how big does that catnip plant get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Here's some information for you from Google.com

Catnip is not fussy, if it was it won't survive long. Your standard sun to part sun and half decent soil will do just fine. If you are growing it for your cat, put a crown of chicken wire over the plant close to the ground. As the catnip grows through the wire and gets eaten the roots will remain intact growing new catnip. Make sure the edges of the wire are tucked in securely. It is very hardy, good to -40 so if the roots remain you will see it year after year.
Growing Catnip Indoors
Not recommended as it will get leggy.

Legginess is caused by poor lighting. If you have a south window and supplement that light with a gro-lamp you might be able to do it. I hope it works out for you and kitty.

P.S. Evidently cats don't get "high" from catnip. They feel, well, um, take a guess!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to 22Raiynee22 Send a message via Yahoo to 22Raiynee22

The largest catnip plant i've ever seen was up to my chest (i'm about 5'11") But it was all gone to seed and not really usful for cats

Rachelle Aka Raiyn

Fabulously made by ForJazz!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Premier Cat

You're right. The information on google.com said that cats like new, fresh catnip, and don't like the old parts. Evidently the part that has the endorphins, or whatever makes them happy and playful, is not present in stale catnip or old parts of a plant that has gone to seed. You have to cut that back and let the new growth come up.

Jeanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea that catnip plants grew so large! Now I have to figure out where to grow it. I don't want to "provoke" the neighborhood strays into, um, "extreme playfulness" by growing it outdoors.

Z.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineko012
Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea that catnip plants grew so large! Now I have to figure out where to grow it. I don't want to "provoke" the neighborhood strays into, um, "extreme playfulness" by growing it outdoors.

Z.
My co-worker grows it in a hanging basket outside her back porch. That way cats can't get to it unless she picks it herself.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Premier Cat

Roger, keeping in mind that this is a family forum, could you--very subtly--- explain what a "spliff" is?

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page