Going to England, terrified to fly! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to Maleke
Going to England, terrified to fly!

My boyfriend is from Kurdistan, which is in the northern part of Iraq. Kurdistan is a small, peaceful country. His immediate family lives there, but he has some aunts and uncles who are wealthy and live in England. He goes to England once a year to visit his family, they all fly to England and stay at his aunt and uncles house. My boyfriend is the only one in his family that lives in Canada (they moved here when he was 13, but then moved back when he was 18, however he had gotten into university so he stayed behind). Now that you have some background........

......I have never met his family. We have been dating for 3 years. We have reached the point where we know we are going to get married and it's only a matter of time before he proposes (everyone knows this!). So he thought I should go with him to England this year. We were going to go over Christmas, but yesterday his dad asked if we could go in October. Since I have a break from school then, we are going to go then.

The thing is, I am TERRIFIED of flying. And it's a 7 hours flight to England. Any tips on surviving a long flight while being terrified the whole time? I'm also nervous about meeting his family, there are a lot of them! He has 2 sisters, one is my age, the other is 14. And one brother who is 19. Is England nice....all those who live there or have been there? Anything fun to do? Any advice on flying or England would be great!

There really is nothing better than a weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I've flown over England, from Boston to Budapest (an 8 hour flight). I was with a group of several friends, a couple of whom were terrified of flying. I mean, just shaking as they went on the plane

They brought a lot of diversionary things with them: CD players, games, books, masks to cover their eyes (juuuust kidding...it was so they could sleep). The scariest part is when you are taking off, and the plane makes lots of noise and shakes terribly. That's when most people get nervous. But after that, things should be smooooth sailing. Find things to occupy your attention, other than the plane, and you'll find yourself a lot more relaxed. Think about it: if more people get killed by donkeys every year than by plane, your chances of anything happening are slim to none. I mean, really, if you get scared, just imagine a killer donkey. C'mon, doesn't that make you laugh? Just a little?

Now, this may not work for you, but one of my friends found peace by actually looking out the window. She sat in awe of being inside a cloud, and then being above them, and looking like you could step down into the plushest carpetting ever. Sunsets and sunrises are also spectacular from that altitude.

I'm sure things will go great, enjoy England!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey
Think about it: if more people get killed by donkeys every year than by plane, your chances of anything happening are slim to none. I mean, really, if you get scared, just imagine a killer donkey. C'mon, doesn't that make you laugh? Just a little?
I sent that part to my boyfriend and his response was this: There's an image in my head of a donkey with a cigarette, bandana, and an assault rifle.

*giggle*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Hahahahaha, I am sitting here in class and read the part about the donkey and started laughing. Yes, it makes me feel better to know this little fact!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Premier Cat

Where abouts in england are you going?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

London

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Senior Cat

Try to stay awake on the run up to your flight. When I went to America we had to have 3 changes and one 8 hour flight. I was working that day do had been awake for about 40 hours, I slept most of the flight.
P.S there will be plenty to keep you busy in London

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Premier Cat

oh yes london, lots to do.
You should visit madame tussauds, ive never been there- or london in fact, but ive seen it on TV and it looks fantastic!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to CyberPet
I've flown a few times to and from Toronto. I'm not very found of flying, but I've learn to accept it as the fastest way to travel.

I told my doctor about my fear of flying and the wish to meet my in-laws in Canada, so he suggested me to get some medication that cuts down the anxiety. He actually gives that to his wife as well, who's even more afraid of flying than me (if that's even possible). What the medicine do is cut off the anxiety, but keep your brain alert and you're fully awake and aware. You aren't really "drugged" more than you're not prone to have a major anxiety attack.

I must say that this is a great way and has worked well for me. Plus the fact that I've taught myself a lot about flying and what it really involves. I know what every sound and things that the plane do, so I'm prepared for it. It's the same thing each time I fly and I find that as something comforting. The sounds of the engines when they synch, the sounds when the sort of put in the fifth gear when they've reach their cruising altitude, even the smallest "blings" that you hear, telling the flight attendants what to do.

If you know a pilot or a flight attendant, interview them all about flying and all the sounds. Maybe even take a domestic flight first, a short one, just to get used to the noises and the "feel".

I myself perfer to sit by the window, but some prefer to sit by the aisle. So it's a matter of choise. I like to look out the window and sort of train myself to getting used to flying.

The Air Canada and British Airway flights are all very comfortable flights and the flight crew is very nice and warm. If you tell them that you're afraid of flying, they will help you in any way they can. They are used to people scared of flying and know how to help them relax and feel more comfortable.

Don't drink alcohol, that just blurs your mind, but it can increase the anxiety (I rather talk to my doctor and get a few pills to get through the flight instead). Drink lots of water though, fluids are great and will prevent you from having a dry mouth and nose from the dry air in the cabin. Plus it gives you a reason to go to the bathroom and move your legs a bit. Moving around a bit during a flight is good since it's pretty hard to sit in one position for that long of a flight.

I hope some of this has been helpful at least. There's nothing really to be worried about. Flying is the safest way to travel and the risk for any terrorist attacks is minimal today. You'll find that they security control is even MORE thorough than the ones in the States (I've flown through Chicago last year, so I've seen it during a level orange).

Bring a good book and a mp3-player or a walkman and let them keep your mind off things. Watch the inflight movie, some of them are actually worth watching and try to get a bit of sleep if you can (not very comfortable, but a few hours can help to adjust to the time difference).

Have a good trip, you gonna love England!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Tom Cat

Definitely speak with your doctor and ask about a medication. I take an Ambien (sleeping pill) on all of my flights to Europe so that I can arrive refreshed and well-rested. Your doctor should be able to prescribe a sleeping pill or anti-anxiety med to help you.

Bring a book, an easy-to-read magazine for the distracting take-off time and some music. If you have a favorite relaxing scent go ahead a bring a little. You can always go mellow out in the bathroom. I like a sleeping mask and earplugs because they make me forget that I'm on a plane.

And have FUN!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page