Conan To Take Over For Jay On 'Tonight Show' - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Conan To Take Over For Jay On 'Tonight Show'

... In 5 Years

I love Conan, and i really like Leno. I think it will be a great thing to happen, especially if Canon can bring over some of the riske' skits, like the Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/3763963/detail ... 0009272004

Quote:
Conan O'Brien To Replace Jay Leno In 2009

POSTED: 1:57 pm EDT September 27, 2004
UPDATED: 2:48 pm EDT September 27, 2004

NEW YORK -- NBC announced Monday that Conan O'Brien will take over from Jay Leno as host of the "Tonight" show. But he'll have time to write his jokes -- the planned succession won't happen until 2009.

SURVEY
Who would you rather see host "The Tonight Show?"

Jay Leno 58%
Conan O'Brien 28%
Neither 27%

Late night talk show hosts Conan O'Brien and Jay Leno with "Little Jay" during a recent appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

The announcement solves a delicate problem for NBC, which realized O'Brien was getting antsy in his "Late Night" time slot (12:35 a.m. Eastern) and wanted to keep him from jumping to another network.

Leno planned to make the announcement on Monday's edition of "Tonight," a special celebration of the talk show's 50th anniversary.

"In 2009, I'll be 59 years old and will have had this dream job for 17 years," Leno said. "When I signed my new contract, I felt that the timing was right to plan for my successor and there is no one more qualified than Conan."

"Plus, I promised Mavis I would take her out for dinner before I turned 60," the notoriously workaholic Leno said about his wife.

Leno took over from Johnny Carson on "Tonight" in 1992 and after a few years of trailing the man he beat out for the job in the ratings -- David Letterman -- he passed the CBS star and has been dominant in the time slot.

An unknown at the time, O'Brien had the thankless job of taking over from Letterman on "Late Night," and he was nearly fired after several weeks of painful shows. But he recovered and has been a critical and commercial success.

But O'Brien has openly talked about wanting to move on and, in the late-night world, that means an earlier time slot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Oh, I'm sorry, RP, but if that happens, I'll never watch the Tonight Show until he's off. I can't stand that man. He just annoys me. I know that seems to be unreasonable, but it's the way I feel. I can't stand to even flip past NBC if he's on! There has to be someone better than that to replace Jay when the time comes....

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Cat

Okay I'll do it..............

Actually way past my bedtime

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Touch gently the Life Of your fellow man
For the human heart Shapes as easily As clay upon The potter's wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Oh, I'm sorry, RP, but if that happens, I'll never watch the Tonight Show until he's off. I can't stand that man. He just annoys me. I know that seems to be unreasonable, but it's the way I feel. I can't stand to even flip past NBC if he's on! There has to be someone better than that to replace Jay when the time comes....
Oh wow! how can you NOT like Conan, he's a sweetheart but to each his own, IMO, i'd be very upset if that stupid letterman signed-up, CAN'T STAND HIM!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Premier Cat

What? Letterman is fine----if you like arrogant, egotistical, patronizing, self-centered wise guys. We'll approach Bengal Cats to replace that miserable, misogynistic, marginal model of a man! (I love alliteration!)

Jeanie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
What? Letterman is fine----if you like arrogant, egotistical, patronizing, self-centered wise guys. We'll approach Bengal Cats to replace that miserable, misogynistic, marginal model of a man! (I love alliteration!)
Hey I resemble that remark !!!!!

Touch gently the Life Of your fellow man
For the human heart Shapes as easily As clay upon The potter's wheel
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Premier Cat

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page